New here

Schnayke

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Medford, Oregon
Hello, I am new here. I plan on getting some chickens for my back yard. I have been looking at some black java chicks a breeders has for sale.
I want a bird that will be nice, like a pet, that will produce egg's at a good rate and will, not likly fly out of my yard.
My name is eric, I have never raised or been around chickens. So I know just about nothing.
My buddy made me a chicken coop, So I have that. Now for the chickens.
smile.png
lol

Last edited:
Hi Eric. We are new to chicken-keeping too. We have 8 and they are still in the brooder box in our dining room. We are surprised at how attached we both have become to them. They seem to have individual personalities. Study everything you can here... i think this site can teach you everything you need to know! Where are you located? Weather climate considerations are important when choosing the breed! Being in New England, I needed cold-hardy birds!

I live in southern oregon. Don't let that fool you, people hear oregon and think wet..
Well this is the part of oregon that the wild west got it's name from. It's a desert climate, but we have all seasons. So in the winter it gets down into the teens at night, and during the summer and can get as hot as 110. I think heat will be my main problem. I was going to try to buy birds from a local place figureing, if they can raise them around here I at least have a chance. I have been looking but like I said still know exactly nothing. But I looked on the bird breed discriptions and the java seems to fit the bill.
The town I live in is called Medford, here in oregon. The main thing is I don't want a flighty bird, or one that won't let me pick it up, and clip it's wings and such. I live next to a busy road and am worried about them flying over the fence and into the road.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom