new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yoopersjd, Sep 20, 2013.

1. yoopersjd

yoopersjd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    been lurking in the shadows past month checking out the site. process of building a coop now to get chicks ordered late Jan. Located in west texas.

2. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Welcome! There is lots of info and great ideas for coops here. Just go to the 'Learning Center'

3. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome! Have fun! :)

4. yoopersjd

Sep 20, 2013
    Lol thanx, coop is all up right now, Gambeled roof, 6'x9' with 9' ceiling, air vents at peak, 2 windows facing east, chicken door, person door, 10 nesting box's built into walls. Still got to put up a fenced run out in the old corral. gunna be hard to sink fence posts, I am solid dolomite 1 inch of dirt down. thinking of cat litter buckets filled with conrete with steel post in it. Other than that. just waiting on completing everything before I order my chicks in Jan.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Welcome to BYC!

I would think a mostly open (hardware cloth but not solid wood walls) coop would be best for your climate. But maybe you have fierce winds?

Anyway, I hope you are in a place where there is water! :D

6. yoopersjd

Sep 20, 2013
    Well here in my part of west texas, the climate swings alot. I am originally from the upper peninsula of michigan, So i know cold climate, and since I have moved here to texas I have seen below zero weather, Ice storms, a few inches of snow a couple weeks out of the yr. During the summer we get hot hot, spring is wind storms and tornadoes, so a coop just out of hardware cloth won't cut it. The coop and run will be in a small grove of Live Oaks so they will have shade yr round, and some protection from the wind and rain under the oaks.

With the Climate, running along the lines of Andalucian or anconas due to the climate is much the same as southern spain or italy. Also both breeds are good egg layers, and about a medium size bird when it comes to butchering.....

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] If you want to meet your Texan neighbors go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum , to locate and post on your state thread.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

10. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome from Alaska.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by