New Here

Whits End

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Hello

New to the site, and chicken keeping in general. I acquired a flock when I moved into my new place, 13 mixed hens. I'm in love with chickens, and so have purchased 7 more (since learned they are red sex-linked). So now I'm running two flocks (the old birds were very hard on the new ones so I seperated). I don't even know what most of the older birds are, but I don't care, love them all. I'm in Northern BC (Canada) and have meat rabbits as well as the chickens, and I hope to start goats in the spring.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Hello

New to the site, and chicken keeping in general. I acquired a flock when I moved into my new place, 13 mixed hens. I'm in love with chickens, and so have purchased 7 more (since learned they are red sex-linked). So now I'm running two flocks (the old birds were very hard on the new ones so I seperated). I don't even know what most of the older birds are, but I don't care, love them all. I'm in Northern BC (Canada) and have meat rabbits as well as the chickens, and I hope to start goats in the spring.

The white bird looks like a White Wyandotte, since I think I see a rose comb. The other bird looks like a Columbian Plymouth Rock (yellow legs) or Light Sussex (white legs).
Looks like a Cuckoo Marans, since those legs look white. If the legs were yellow, it would be a Barred Plymouth Rock.
All of these birds are production reds.

Last edited:
Hello

Probably a White Wyandotte, though I can't see the comb clearly. Could be a White Chantecler instead.
Colubmain Rock (yellow legs and single comb), Light sussex (white legs and single comb), or Columbian Wyandotte (yellow legs and rose comb).
Cuckoo Marans, probably, as the legs look white. If they are yellow, you probably have a Barred Plymouth Rock.
Production Reds.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Nice flock! You need to mix new birds into a flock very slowly. You can't just throw them all in together without chaos and fighting. Keep the new birds in a cage or fenced off area in the coop and run but with the flock at all times. Everybody sees, nobody touches. Leave them all this way for 3 to 4 weeks. This allows for some pecking order to be worked out. Then you can mix them together. Watch them closely that day and for the next several weeks. Always intervene if it turns bloody.

You can help the newbies out by putting out more feeding and watering stations as the older flock can guard these areas and literally starve out the new birds.

Good luck establishing your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I don't think the bird in your first photo is a White Wyandotte or Chantecler as the legs appear to be feathered (am I correct in seeing feathers?), but I do agree with BantamLover21 and Wyandotte7's assessment of your other breeds. Hopefully you can post some pics of your Red Sex Links. They are egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Yes, the white has feathered legs, here's a better pic.

And here are my sex-links, still young, just starting to lay, I'll wait until they are bigger before moving them closer to the other flock.

And some of the sex-links eggs, the three small are the sex-links, the large is from one of my other birds.

Back
Top Bottom