1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

new here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by burgerusmc, Jan 4, 2015.

1. burgerusmc

burgerusmc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    harford county, MD
    Hey guys. I'm kevin from harford county MD, and I just got a chicken coop yesterday. Still trying to figure out what breed to get and how many to start, but I'm super excited to start this! Hope every one had a good new years.

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Hello from PA Kevin, nice to meet you.

Deciding on breeds was tough for me too, it's amazing how many there are to choose from! I'm on my 3rd flock. I have a pretty good mix , white leghorn, golden comet, both of which I've had before. The new to me breeds are Ancona, Rhode Island Red, Australorp and Easter Egger. I love the variety of the hens and also eggs I am getting. I found the breeds section and all it's reviews very helpful.

Good luck to you!

4. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Lots of good breeds out there. I am fond of the Orpington breeds...Buff Orps and the Black Australorps. Both of these breeds are very docile, friendly, great layers and are really kid friendly. They are also very health hardy.

Each chicken needs 4 to 5 square feet per bird in your coop, 10 square feet per bird in the run. So keep this in mind when you decide how many birds to get. However get at least 3 birds, in case one doesn't make it to adulthood and the remaining one is not alone.

Stop by our learning center as well. Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck on this new journey you are on and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Good luck with selection and raising your new flock.

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

10. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Hello and [​IMG] ! Please ask any questions you may have, we're happy to help. Thank you, have a happy 2015!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by