New here!

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock".

Thank you everyone! I am getting my first chicks march 21st, I have EVERYTHING all set for them. I bought and assembled a coop, I made a brooder out of a galvanized large cage with metal removable tray, chick feeders and water holders, I bought a hot plate for the brooder instead of a heat lamp. I am afraid of fire hazards and the chicks are going to have to be indoors until they can handle being in the garage in the brooder. I have done EXTENSIVE research on vaccines and which ones are very important. Should I go to the vets and bring the babies for a physical? Do chickens need check ups?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new chicks! New chicks don't need to go to the vet (you really don't want to stress them anymore than they already have been.) People generally don't take chickens in yearly like you do cats or dogs (most vets won't even see chickens, do check if yours will, so you know you have one if you do have an emergency and want to take a pet bird in), and the cost is prohibitive. It is a good idea to do frequent checks of your own birds, so you catch any potential problems early, ie here is a link to a nice checklist http://www.communitychickens.com/9-point-comb-to-toe-chicken-check-up.html#.U1h5DqJW_bM

Thank u! They are doing great. Strong and eat like no other. One I can tell is the highest in pecking order she is kind of a bulky. She literally eats all the time and is drinking tons of water. Very strong. I noticed one of the chicks looks like she was pecked at a bit too much? I'll have to keep more of a watchful eye and separate miss piggy if she is going to be causing harm and bullying too much

Back
Top Bottom