new here

ACamper

Hatching
May 24, 2015
Snohomish Washington
Hello! I just joined and I am new to chickens. I just picked this guy up. Was told he is a 7 week old ameraucana rooster. I have reason to believe this is an Easter egger and not an ameraucana. Can anyone identify for me? Also, does he look like a rooster? I have heard some crowing but don't know if that is really an identifying feature. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to BYC - glad you joined the flock. That's a good looking rooster. EE's are a very good bird to have. Crowing is probably the best single feature that screams
ROOSTER!!. so he has passed that test.

Thank you! The only reason I was curious about the crowing is because I heard him crow when he was in his original flock when I picked him up. I've been outside with him in his new flock for the last few hours and didn't hear any crowing. About a year ago I had read that sometimes dominant hens will crow to show their dominance in the flock if no roosters are around... not sure if that is true or not...

Hi there and welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you could join BYC! You have a lovely rooster there. You're correct, he is in fact an Easter Egger (not an Ameraucana) and is definitely a rooster. Crowing, the large red comb, and the black/white color pattern are common traits for male Easter Eggers. It is true that dominant hens will crow occasionally. However, that usually happens to older hens (instead of young birds) or hens with reproductive problems. In general, if a young bird crows, it is a cockerel.

I hope you can keep your handsome cockerel! Good luck with your birds and please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We'll be happy to help.

Welcome to our community and I hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad you joined the flock!!
wee.gif

Many adventures await you and your flock. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask around!!
big_smile.png

D.gif
jumpy.gif
-Turkenstein25
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom