New? I don't even know how to post a "new post"!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by imacreator, Oct 14, 2010.

1. imacreator

imacreator Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, ky.
    I'm so new that other than this page (New Members), I can't find how to post a "new post"! I can't find anything other than on this page that indicates a new post. Duh! I have just added 2 new hens to my group of 4, only 2 of which have been laying. Now with the 2 new hens, only 1 is laying and not as often. It looks to me like they're pretty temperamental! I have also added a light on a timer, and I'm wondering if too much light keeps them from feeling secure while laying? What's the best way to shelter the nest? Do I need to keep light from it?Any help will be greatly appreciated!Thanks,
    Gail

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] i dont uae any light at all. Mine seem to like it very secluded.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi Gail, [​IMG]

If you look at the top of the page and in the blue bar, you'll find all sorts of interesting links to useful info. I recommend starting with the FAQs, that gives you the basics of using the site.

I found that my hens prefer near darkness for laying. Also, when hens are moved it can take a while for them to adjust and start laying again. Four weeks is not unusual!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. You will get the hang of posting in no time. Then you will end up like the rest of us. Getting addicted [​IMG]

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Welcome to BYC from Canada!

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    They are so right about finding your way around the site. I am new and I did not do it at first....then I learned to 'search' in the box at the top right. You can post a reply....it blinks and is on the right also.

But do what they said and go read in the Facs first. Then start searching. Then make sure you post a new one in the right area....you can look in the index and find where you should post.

And they are right in no time you will be out here with the rest of us addicts!!

Welcome by the way to BYC.....I love this place!

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If I can post , a drunk monkey could to. [​IMG] Search the site & you'll find all kinds of amazing things! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC from The Pampered Pullets Farm in Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

10. Sydneychicks

Sydneychicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Im new too and had some troubles, but, there are lots of help out there and people are forgiving if you don't know the right terms. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by