New in CA, questions about egg laying behavior!

alw0781

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2015
CA
Hi :). I'm mom to 4 beautiful Buff Orpington hens. They are about 5 months old. This morning a couple of them, especially one, became extremely vocal. She has been carrying on all morning! They are fed, watered, and free ranging. I'm wondering what all of her fuss is about and if she is letting me know that she is ready to start laying. She also started the submissive squat. I went out to see what the fuss was and she squatted for me, she has been squatting for a couple of days now... I don't have nesting boxes yet because I thought it would be springtime before I got eggs. Should I rush to get nesting boxes or will she find a place to lay? Could she be vocal because she wants a box? Thanks :)

welcome-byc.gif
It sounds as if the hormones are raging and she is getting ready to lay. For temporary try placing a box or basket with bedding in the coop.

She's just telling you she's close if not already laying. They will find a place to lay no matter if you have a box or not. It is easier to start them off laying in nesting boxes than trying to train them after they start. It doesn't need to be anything special. Just a milk crate or 5 gallon bucket on it's side stuffed with straw or hay works fine.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, sounds like your girl may be getting ready to lay, cardboard boxes work well also.

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Hope you have some eggs real soon sounds like you will, unless she has already being hiding them from you!!

Best of luck to you with your buff orpingtons and hope you enjoy BYC, I am sure you will :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock"

Even if you don't have a nest box, she'll find a place to lay. I would get one ready soon, however, as nest boxes keep the eggs cleaner and keep chickens from hiding their eggs. I hope you get some eggs soon!
smile.png

I've looked around for hidden eggs and haven't found any yet. She is acting so strange today!!!! It's insane! I'm pretty sure she will lay any minute.
During the day when I'm home they free range in the yard. Will they know to go to the boxes?
Also, my coup is small, can I keep the boxes outside of the coup in the run?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love buff orpingtons! Such affectionate and docile chickens!

Yup, sounds like those eggs should be coming down the pipes soon!

Well.... Trying not to get too excited but I think she is laying right now!!!!! She is inside our old dog house and seems cozy!!! Maybe she was throwing such a fit because I didn't have boxes ready!!!! I guess the dog house is getting filled with wood shavings!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom