New in Fairmont, NC- Would appreciate advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vegaburm, Apr 23, 2009.

1. vegaburm

vegaburm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Hey all!

I'm in Southeastern North Carolina. We have hot summers here (most days 90-105) and mild winters (maybe 2 or three days where it snows and 20 or so id REALLY cold). We are looking at adding some chickens and Guinea hens to our family. We want to make their home as best we can to start, and of course spend as little as possible. [​IMG] I am thinking maybe 8-12 hens right now and maybe 4 Guineas that we'll train to roost with the hens at night, but will have freedom to fly out of the pen and free range during the day. We're thinking a coop around 8X8. Here are my current questions.....

Is there a standard for how big the run needs to be? I've found guidlines for the coop, but are there any for the run? What would be recommended?

Are there any plants I could plant inside the run that the chickens wouldn't kill, but would give them some shade and a place to hide?

Is there a benefit to having a rooster? We only want the eggs, we aren't planning to hatch any chicks out or raise them for meat. I hears that the roosters can have issues with the guinea males, so figured we'd just go with no rooster.

For breeds I am currently looking at Easter Eggers, Astralorps, and favorolles. (sorry if I butchered any of those) We want egg producers with temperaments that won't scare my young kids and I figured the various colors of eggs would be fun for them.

Will love any advice you guys can give! also, if anyone know where to get Guinea eggs or peeps in small numbers, like a dozen or less, I'd love to know that too. I don't need 25 of them!

Beth

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    [​IMG] from Michigan. I am in a very cold climate to hot and humid in the summer so I am not the best person to give you advice on your coop but I am sure someone else can. Good luck.

3. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Hi Beth. Welcome and those are great questions. Unfortunately, I can't answer them but someone will chime in and help. Good luck!

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

5. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    Hi try putting your post on the coop thread. More people that can help with that on that thread.

6. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    [​IMG] from MN!

7. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    [​IMG] are you near lumberton.

8. vegaburm

vegaburm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Yes! Just 20 miles South of Lumberton. We head up there to do our shopping! [​IMG]

9. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Welcome from Clayton, NC
    [​IMG]

10. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Hi! Welcome from North Carolina![​IMG]
    My Mom lives in Red Springs(don't laugh), I HAVE Salmon Favorelle chicks!! They are sweet chickens. Even my Rooster (he's huge) is very gentle! Oh that's him in my avatar!

As far as the run goes... The bigger the better IMO!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by