new in Idaho Falls! HELP!

xcntry

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Southeast Idaho
I just bought myself 10 chicks for my birthday. I have always wanted a mini farm. I grew up in the country and we would occasionally raise chickens...always had a dog and a cat while growing up...

Although I have been around chickens in the past, I do not feel real confident about this...EXCITED, but scared!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for such a great place to learn and meet like minded people!!!

59642_2010_6_08_chicks.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! I see your little brooder setup, and it looks just fine. They will grow out of it fast though....so while they're growing, plan on setting up your chicken coop. Chicks are surprisingly easy to raise. Just keep them warm, and keep their environment relatively clean with fresh food and water, and you're good to go!

Welcome to BYC!
Sharon

Thank you!!! I have gone through the coop section a hundred times...still trying to figure out the best one...

I have one chick that I keep finding laying on its side with one leg streched out...it gets up and runs with the rest when I go for it...is this normal behavior?

Nope not alone! I haven't seen to many people in our neck of the woods though. Glad to have you on here.

Hello I'm from North Idaho! Yes chicks are easy to raise. And you'll do just fine. The only problem I've had is chicks getting to hot from my heat lamp. Just make sure they have room to get out from under the heat lamp if they want to.

I just wish kids were as easy to raise as chicks.... Sigh....

Back
Top Bottom