New in KS

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Deerfield Acres, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Hello from Kansas (people of the southwind)!

My DH and I moved back to our country house this past fall with our 8 children, ages 7 to 16. We returned to our city house for a couple of years after my mother passed away to help my father who was still caring for his mother. After Grandma had to go to a care home and Dad remarried, I instigated a return here though my DH wasn't sure he wanted to move again. But, move we did and all of us love it here even though it's nothing fancy and a bit smaller than our city house. The kids love having the freedom of more land and they also love the various encounters we've had with nature's creatures. The city house is for sale and we look forward to having just one house payment again.

My goal is to share with our children the things my mother and grandfather taught me about growing/raising our own food. Sadly, they've both passed on but I know they would be delighted that I'm teaching the kids the things they taught me.

I'm planning to purchase hens this spring for eggs and am very interested in the Aloha chicken project. Right now I'm researching shelter options and am so glad my DH can build anything I come up with!

My husband is a test pilot and I'm a stay at home mom. My hobbies are reading and all things crafty.

Karen S

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] I'm glad you found us! [​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    Your off to a great start, byc is the best place for chicken information, great people!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi karen and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] Karen! And [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

Warning: BYC can become seriously addicting!! [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello Karen, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
  9. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

10. checoukan

checoukan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Columbus, Ks.
    Yes, there is a wonderful Kansas group, [​IMG] Hope you [​IMG] over and join us. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by