New in Lansdowne, PA

MikePa

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2018
Lansdowne, PA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We received our first chickens one month ago, they hatched on October 29th

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Four

(3) What breeds do you have?
Barred Rock

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Looking forward to fresh eggs :) And teaching our daughter where food comes from and more sustainable living.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Bread making, cooking, & reading

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We are a family of three, my wife, our daughter, and I. We recently moved from a row home in Philadelphia to a small home in the suburbs with enough space for some chickens and other small livestock. Our other pets are our two new zealand rabbits that we occasionally breed for meat. I own/operate a local pizza business with my family.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found BYC while googling about local ordinances about owning chickens. I finally joined because I want to find out when I can move these chicks outside! They are entering their sixth week and have their feathers but I'm not sure how long to keep them indoors since it's winter time. We didn't really think too far ahead when we purchased them :)

13FF40E6-48E6-4405-BB39-4AC7F7CE0543.gif
What are your temps highs and lows? Yes it is easier in the spring as temps are not lower than 65-70 once weaned to this with turned off heat source and full feathering tend to do fine.

I might still put them out in coop but would consider putting in a K and H heat pad that is fire proof in the coop for warmth so can warm up if need to. I added one for my hens who are now 24 weeks as poultry vet recommendation to protect against frostbite as risk below 30 degrees at any age. You can also read articles in the Learning Center on winterizing as well. This might help.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:welcomeWe are glad you joined the flock! BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Barred Rocks are a wonderful dual purpose breed and are great for beginners. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom