New in Ottawa Valley

JenAndHens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Hi! We are currently planning our coop design. We've agreed to winter a friends trio of hens this year then get our own chicks in the spring. 3-6 probably. Main concerns are cold weather and predators. We have coyotes nearby. I've been enjoying the site for a while and have read a bunch of books. Looking forward to gleaning info from all of you on the forums.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

We too have lots of coyotes and such predators around here. I can't free range because of all the critters. And coyotes are active day and night. What I do is when I have time to sit with the chickens, I get them out to free range. Otherwise they stay in the run much of the time. So build a sturdy run and bigger than you think you need if you can't free range. Coyotes are diggers. So make sure they can't dig under anything.

If you have any questions, stop by our predators and pests section for more help or even our coop and run construction section for more help..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Feel free to ask questions here in the forums if you run into trouble. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. It's also good to have a cover on your run. Coyotes are good jumpers as well as diggers, and very determined hunters. You may want to run a few strands of electric fencing around the run.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Feathers are good insulators. Moisture is a greater danger for chickens than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Coyotes and the coywolf have really expanded their range in the last couple if decades.

Back
Top Bottom