New in Utah

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JMilner, Mar 8, 2015.

1. JMilner

JMilner New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    Hello everyone!

My family is starting our journey with backyard chickens and we are very excited. We will be buying our chicks in the next few week and plan on getting three, one for each of our kids. We haven't chosen breeds yet, I personally want a Wyandotte because they are so beautiful. We have never had chickens before and the kids are SO excited.

We plan on building our coop and run in the next few weeks and I've been looking at all the different options, trying to figure out what will work best for our family. My criteria are first and most important function and ease of cleaning and maintenence. After that I would love it if it were super cute as well.

As for me, I'm a stay-at-home mom and plan on doing all of the work, along with the kids. I am also a writer and have a novel in the works.

Jodi

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jodi

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your impending chicks :celebrate
    Raising chicks is such a rewarding experience especially if you have children helping you. It's something I enjoy very much. The learning centre is a great place to start for lots of great information on getting your chicken adventure under way. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Dcawdrey

Dcawdrey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Medina, TN
    [​IMG] Good luck in your new endeavor. Consider Silkies they are wonderful with children and love to be cuddled. If you have questions, some one will try and answer them for you.

Welcome again and keep us posted on your progress.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on the soon to be new chicks! Definitely stop by our learning center that Yorkshire Coop has linked for you. If you have any questions about anything along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I would definitely recommend getting a Wyandotte. Mine have been very good layers, docile, sweet, personable, inquisitive, very cold hardy, have done fine in heat, and have been great pets overall!

If you haven't already, I suggest taking a look at the Coops section for some good coop designs and tips: Chicken Coop Designs

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. The Wyandottes I've had have generally been docile and good with children. Other breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (my children made lap pets of these) are Australorps, Orpingtons, Silkies, Brahmas, Cochins, and Sussex. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chicks.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Jodie, it's great to get chicks for your kids but, you deserve your favorite too.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

In my experiences wyandottes can be aggressive and boys. Buff orpingtons, black australorps and barred rocks are very docile and affectionate chickens who lay lots of large eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by