New Incubation Questions

Oftentimes with shipped eggs, ones that don't develop gett blamed on unfertilized when the cause may be something else. Scrambled eggs will not develop and it has nothing to do with whether or not the egg was fertilized.

Eggs that are shipped by air in a cargo hold that is not pressurized will be destroyed and will not develop. Again, it has nothing to do with whether or not the eggs were fertilized.

Good luck.
Hatching shipped eggs can give widely varying results depending on the breed, the shipper and the carrier.

I have gotten results as low as 0% and as high as 78%. I routinely got a 60% hatch rate for viable eggs on guinea eggs received fro the Guinea Farm.

I have a cabinet incubator so any eggs are incubated large end up and turned every 3 hours by the auto turner by the tilting of the trays.

I am one of those that does not do anything special for shipped eggs. I treat them the same as I do my home produced eggs.
I don't think I did anything special before except keep them upright-oh, and remember to turn the humidity up at lockdown. Your "tilting" incubator is what I was trying to replicate with external 45° tilts.
Remember last time telling me that really fresh eggs may not have apparent air cell at first? That's what it's like. Most, not all, have well developed embryo with veins, but no bright aircell on top yet. Top 1/2 is red, bottom yellow, as in the video.

I don't think I did anything special before except keep them upright-oh, and remember to turn the humidity up at lockdown. Your "tilting" incubator is what I was trying to replicate with external 45° tilts.
Remember last time telling me that really fresh eggs may not have apparent air cell at first? That's what it's like. Most, not all, have well developed embryo with veins, but no bright aircell on top yet. Top 1/2 is red, bottom yellow, as in the video.
Speaking of Guinea Farm, has anyone seen/ heard from my 2 butterflies? 😔

If you think YOU'RE rambling, you haven't read many of my posts. Lol.
I have the NR360,but this is only 2nd attempted hatch w/it,so not familiar w/quirks. It does have auto horizontal turner,I started these off that way, but it seemed awfully rough w/ my eggs, and was concerned w/air cells so changed back.
I'm not sure if you & Mixed are reading me as saying I don't want to turn at all, or if I'm failing to read you saying routine tilting at 45° opposed angles isn't good enough compared to turning? - I can turn them all day long, I just want to do it the safest way, & thought minimal contact and opening would be good. The auto just seems to ROLL them a lot.
It's hard to say what they went through getting here, it took 2 days from Fl. To Ind. I know, crazy, but if my babies hadn't been infected, I'd have 4-6 from last batch. 🤷‍♀️
I opted to use #2 as my model because it swishes around pretty good, isn't fertile, is the one that led to the questions, "is that what they mean by scrambled?" and "are those floaty things on their way to becoming bacteria?"

Ok, vent wide open, put the distilled water back. Ambient Humidity here is down to 72% now, was 83% earlier.
Do you keep track of your weights?

Oh, I can ramble with the best of them, believe me. lol! @Mixed flock enthusiast and @R2elk have both been privy to my rambling sessions. :gig

The egg in your video definitely looks scrambled to me but I set all of my eggs too regardless of how they look inside. I only bypass blatantly icky eggs. I've posted entire threads of hatching undesirable eggs (repaired cracks, oblong, porous) because I just can't help myself. I have to at least try, lol!

In my personal experience tilting doesn't work as well as the automatic turner. I only tilt when there is a completely detached air cell, like in the video of a goose egg.

If the air cells are jiggly, saddled, or otherwise not completely on the side of the egg, I will put them in the turner.

I have monitored weight for an experiment but it's super time consuming and I prefer to monitor air cell growth because it's easier for me but weighing is definitely a foolproof method for those that are new and don't know what to look for.

Oh, I can ramble with the best of them, believe me. lol! @Mixed flock enthusiast and @R2elk have both been privy to my rambling sessions. :gig

The egg in your video definitely looks scrambled to me but I set all of my eggs too regardless of how they look inside. I only bypass blatantly icky eggs. I've posted entire threads of hatching undesirable eggs (repaired cracks, oblong, porous) because I just can't help myself. I have to at least try, lol!

In my personal experience tilting doesn't work as well as the automatic turner. I only tilt when there is a completely detached air cell, like in the video of a goose egg.

If the air cells are jiggly, saddled, or otherwise not completely on the side of the egg, I will put them in the turner.

I have monitored weight for an experiment but it's super time consuming and I prefer to monitor air cell growth because it's easier for me but weighing is definitely a foolproof method for those that are new and don't know what to look for.
That’s a seriously messed up air cell! Thanks for sharing the video. Was it an egg you incubated? Just wondering if that hatched…

Now that I've seen your video I'll know what to look for specifically. Thank you! Maybe we could organize a visual encyclopedia of damaged/deformed egg videos w/comments turned off so it doesn't get gummed up, bc that's a big help over reading or even still photos.
I do like tracking their weight. That cld be an occupational hazard, just trading in humans for eggs. But I keep it w/my batch notes so I can compare, hopefully learn.
I hadn't started tilt with this batch, so we're good there. I did tilt the last 2 weeks w/the last batch. I'll keep hand turning for now. Using the auto turn is sound advice & I was looking forward to having it. Some of my eggs are abt as big as chicken eggs, but- and it seems like it's always the lighter eggs- some are are much smaller, so they really do get rolled around. The day I did use it, one of the smaller eggs had been bumped over the barrier into it's neighbor's section, pointed end out.:eek: That's when they went back in the egg crate.

That’s a seriously messed up air cell! Thanks for sharing the video. Was it an egg you incubated? Just wondering if that hatched…

Yes, I incubated it and there wasn't any development in this one but believe it or not I had a peafowl egg that was just as bad and it developed! I was stunned!

Now that I've seen your video I'll know what to look for specifically. Thank you! Maybe we could organize a visual encyclopedia of damaged/deformed egg videos w/comments turned off so it doesn't get gummed up, bc that's a big help over reading or even still photos.
I do like tracking their weight. That cld be an occupational hazard, just trading in humans for eggs. But I keep it w/my batch notes so I can compare, hopefully learn.
I hadn't started tilt with this batch, so we're good there. I did tilt the last 2 weeks w/the last batch. I'll keep hand turning for now. Using the auto turn is sound advice & I was looking forward to having it. Some of my eggs are abt as big as chicken eggs, but- and it seems like it's always the lighter eggs- some are are much smaller, so they really do get rolled around. The day I did use it, one of the smaller eggs had been bumped over the barrier into it's neighbor's section, pointed end out.:eek: That's when they went back in the egg crate.

I also ordered multiple sizes of the NR360 turners last year from a seller on Etsy that makes them with a 3D printer. If this is something you continue doing it might be worth it to you as well. They work great! I got one for Turkeys, Geese, and Quail. :D

Also, this was my weight to air cell development photos. I monitored air cell development alongside weighing since there aren't really any good graphics showing bantam eggs. It's not an exact science with air cell shape but there is a desired amount of space. This just happened to be a 100% hatch rate of fertilized eggs (1 that didn't start developing) so it was a really good example.

Weighing and comparing Silkie bantam egg weight to air cell size

• Eggs should lose 11-13% during first 18 days of incubation
  • Between 0.6-0.7% per day average
  • Measured final weight loss as 8am on day 18
Egg 1 – Day (0) 37 grams – Day (7) 36 grams – Day (15) 34 grams – Day (18) 33 grams – LOST 10.81%

Egg 2 – Day 0 – 37 grams - INFERTILE

Egg 3 – Day (0) 37 grams – Day (7) 35 grams – Day (15) 34 grams – Day (18) 33 grams – LOST 10.81%

Egg 4 – Day (0) 39 grams – Day (7) 37 grams – Day (15) 35 grams – Day (18) 35 grams – LOST 10.25%

Egg 5 – Day (0) 37 grams – Day (7) 36 grams – Day (15) 34 grams – Day (18) 33 grams – LOST 10.81%

Egg 6 – Day (0) 39 grams – Day (7) 38 grams – Day (15) 36 grams – Day (18) 35 grams – LOST 10.25%

Egg 7 – Day (0) 39 grams – Day (7) 36 grams – Day (15) 34 grams – Day (18) 34 grams – LOST 12.82%

Egg 8 – Day (0) 38 grams – Day (7) 37 grams – Day (15) 34 grams – Day (18) 33 grams – LOST 13.15%

Egg 9 – Day (0) 39 grams – Day (7) 38 grams – Day (15) 36 grams – Day (18) 35 grams – LOST 10.25%

Egg 10 – Day (0) 38 grams – Day (7) 36 grams – Day (15) 35 grams – Day (18) 34 grams – LOST 10.52%

Egg 11 – Day (0) 34 grams – Day (7) 33 grams – Day (15) 30 grams – Day (18) 29 grams – LOST 11.76%

Egg 12 – Day (0) 39 grams – Day (7) 37 grams – Day (15) 34 grams – Day (18) 34 grams – LOST 12.82%

Silkie Air Cell Growth SIDE.jpg
Silkie Air Cell Growth TOP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom