New incubator calibration

Cwillenburg

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
This is my first time hatching and I'm trying to calibrate my incubator. Its a nurture right 360 and the temp and humidity is holding steady, but the one i placed inside is reading lower. The extra one is attached by a suction cup to the side wall and is reading 4° lower with the same humidity. Is the temp not reading right on the incubator or could it be that the one is on the plastuc side? I just put the eggs and extra thermo in
JPEG_20210119_174130_8836720275590494854.jpg

This is my first time hatching and I'm trying to calibrate my incubator. Its a nurture right 360 and the temp and humidity is holding steady, but the one i placed inside is reading lower. The extra one is attached by a suction cup to the side wall and is reading 4° lower with the same humidity. Is the temp not reading right on the incubator or could it be that the one is on the plastuc side? I just put the eggs and extra thermo inView attachment 2495994
You need to calibrate the thermometer. Put it in a plastic Ziploc bag and seal it. Squeeze all of the air out. Fill a mug with crushed ice, almost full. Then put a little bit of cold water in the mug so the ice floats. Then submerge the bag with the thermometer inside halfway down in the mug. Leave it for 5 minutes or so, then check the temp. It should be 32 Fahrenheit.

You need to calibrate the thermometer. Put it in a plastic Ziploc bag and seal it. Squeeze all of the air out. Fill a mug with crushed ice, almost full. Then put a little bit of cold water in the mug so the ice floats. Then submerge the bag with the thermometer inside halfway down in the mug. Leave it for 5 minutes or so, then check the temp. It should be 32 Fahrenheit.
X2...

But I would guess the temp difference is at least partly because it is against the plastic.

X2...

But I would guess the temp difference is at least partly because it is against the plastic.
I got it calibrated and put it back in the incubator but put it on top of the eggs instead of attached to the plastic. It is reading 3° lower still. Do I need to increase the temp on the incubator?

If you've just put the eggs in in the last 12 hours, the temp of the eggs is cooling the internal temp of the incubator. When the eggs come up to the proper temperature, the incubator temp should stabilize and the eggs act as a bit of a heat-sink.

Back
Top Bottom