New Incubator Mom 🥰

It could potentially be a huge problem.. do you have a hygrometer that says what the humidity actually is? Suggested parameters for first 18 days according to my huge amount of hatching experience (and the egg color, presuming they're fresh within a week when set) is 35-45%. Your ambient humidity will effect how many wells need filling to reach desired humitidy inside bator.. completely dry.. it usually runs about 30% lower than ambient in MY experience.

Too high of humidity causes small air sack, potentially allowing the chick to grow too large to turn into position for hatcing.. possibly resulting in malpositions, splay legs, and drowning or mushy chick syndrome where the naval doesn't close all the way.

Candling isn't my strong suit.. I do like to candle from the air cell (small) end.. it's easier to see the veining there. But those blobs.. don't look round like undeveloped yolks would.. I'll admit I was looking forward to seeing the videos and they just ended up being screen shots.

Movement.. is one of the coolest things to see! 

ETA: I might as well include my favorite technical hatching resource..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

And another.. even with the links that no longer work is still a hugely valuable source of information..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...hatching-chicken-eggs-aka-hatching-101.64195/

We're you able to view the video I posted? I remembered you saying you'd like to see it. 😁

I hear chirping from at least one egg and see one egg rocking back and forth a little. I removed the auto turner, decreased the temperature, added a 2nd bottle of water, and I started to spritz water on eggs today. We are at day 19, per my calendar. I think one might be trying to peck through the shell. How long does it take to make it out? I'm so excited 😊!

:wee:jumpy5 out of 5 chicks have now hatched in my incubator. They are so pretty with brindle coloring (mom- Rhode Island Red and Dad- Brahma) 🥰

The little runt has the feeding figured out. Lol

Attachments

• 20230421_194717.jpg
    20230421_194717.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230421_194724.png
    20230421_194724.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom