New Incubator

RhodeIslandReds

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
fl
Well I am getting a 1502 QGF incubator from a lady on saturday for 350 and I would like to know what to look for. I was wondering if I should look for common problems that they have. If it all goes well I am wondering where should I place the incubator and how do I set it up for incubating already?

All replies will help me so dont be shy please.
Thanks,
Tony

First off, great find and the price is good too. I would google the 1502 print a picture and take it with you. I have noticed alot of people posting ads for incubators for sale saying they are one thing and the pic proves them to be another, so buyer beware.

Secondly ask her to have it hooked up and running the day before so that when you get there you can see that it works, you know has a steady temp and all that.

If you can once you get it set it up in a room of your house that holds a fairly stable temp and humidity. I have my incubators set up in my dining/incubation/brooder room. Yeah we don't eat in there for obvious reasons.

I have heard that it will make a loud beep every two hours to let you know it is turning, anoying but supposedly can be disabled.

Beyond that, I hope it is what she says it is, that it works well, and you have many happy hatching years ahead of you.

Lanae

I have looked online at the pics already and she has sent me pics so we will see if its what she says it is. And the idea of asking her to keep it running sounds really smart so thanks for that tip and I am most probly gonna end up having it set-up in my living room aswell. I have read that they are very good with the temp so I will soon find out. What type of incubators do you have?

Thanks for the info,
Tony

I have a Dickeys Incubator and a Dickeys hatcher and I love them. They are new, but I am always on the lookout for a good used cabinet incubator locally ( I live in the sticks so little fear on my husbands part that I will find one) and would be happy to own a sportsman or two. LOL! I could just see my dining room now. Incubators as far as the eye can see with brooders stacked on top.

Lanae

This is gonna be a big step up from what I have now which was a Little Giant still air incubator so I will be able to x3 my eggs at once and hopefully have lots of good hatchs. Ive never heard of Dickeys but are they still air or do they have a fan in them aswell? Lol to the incubators and brooders staked in the dinning room cant wait to see what I will end up doing.

Thanks,
Tony

Here is a pic of my incubators. They are forced air with electronic thermostate with wafer backups and automatic humidity systems. I don't use the humidity system for the incubator, I incubate at normal room humidity in my house which is about 25%. The hatcher runs at 60% humidity. These are stackable which is one of the reasons I went with them over the Sportsman or the Ova Easy models. Plus they were less expensive than the other two even with all the bells and whistles. I figured I was never going to be able to afford to do this again so get exactly what I wanted. I cringed when I handed over my credit card. But I feel such relieve everytime I move the eggs from the incubator to the hatcher. I also was using LG's previously. I had 4 of them set up in my dining room. My hatch rates were between 25% and 50%.

Now my hatch rates run 75% to 99% one weekend. So far the most I have hatched out in 1 weekend as 120 chicks. UGH! I had them all seperated according to breeding pens. What alot of chicks to have in various brooder tubs in my dining room.

Lanae

Oh very nice set-up those are pretty much the same thing as the 1502 QGF. This will be a good learning period for me cause the most chicks ive ever hatched or had at once was 100 or so which was a big mess but some how made it through. Cant wait.

Thanks,
Tony

I like the price. My only suggestion is that you thoroughly clean the inside, and disinfect it.

Great Find!
thumbsup.gif

be sure to disable the alarm, I moved mine to the garage because that beep beep beep drove me nuts. Sounds like a truck alarm at 3am backing down the street. Price is great, you'll love the incubator.

I didnt even think of that but how should I go about disinfecting it without breaking anything? I have read everywhere about that alarm noise but im not sure how to turn it off. Did you turn yours off if so can you please tell me how you did it?

Thanks,
Tony

Back
Top Bottom