New-ish to chickens

My name is Laura I've had my 10 chickens for about a yr and 3 months now. They've taught me quite a bit but still having a lot of firsts. I'm currently quarantine-ing one of my Jersey hens who had a non violent yet still traumatic experience with the dog. She is recovering from shock and some torn skin from her feathers being pulled out. I've bathed her and sprayed her with some wound care spray and filled a large cat crate with hay where it's quiet and warm. She's got electrolytes in her water and food available if she wants it. She's drinking more than eating but I've read that's ok when recovering from shock. She slept on me after her bath for 5 hrs yesterday. She's been alternately sleeping and drinking and walking around in her quarantine room today. She seems to be coming out ok but I'm wondering if there's something else I should be doing. Im going to get her a high protein food for her feathers after she recovers fully from shock.
Update!! I hope I'm putting this in the right spot so everyone sees it and it makes sense?

Someone has got quite the appetite this morning!!!😍😍😍:ya:wee:yesss:

Attachments

• 20210507_072240.jpg
    20210507_072240.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC, Laura!
Sardines are great for upping protein in the diet, mine all love them. They are also a good source of vitamin D which helps with healing.
Good luck with your hen and with rehabilitating your dog.
Thank you janiedoe! She starts training on Wednesday. I thought about getting her some little fishes too. Ill get her some when I get little fishes for my 2 ducks Cheese and Quackers

The only two possibilities I can think of off hand, are she is still shocked or she may have internal injuries to her back and legs may improve over time . Good luck :fl🍀
Anyone know why she sleeps standing up? I can't find anything online about this I just keep reading that they perch.
She passed away. Thank you everyone for your help. I'll bury her under the apple blossom tree

Back
Top Bottom