New"ish" to Processing

mmmm kay, just to end the drama...

i've decided that we're going to break out the heavy ordinance. we keep a 50 cal. sniper rifle under the bed, so i figure i'll ease out about 300 yrds, dial in the scope, and have 7 easy head shots in 7 rounds. heck i might even wear my gilly suit just for fun, they'll never know what hit 'em!

bwahahahah
lau.gif

doc

The other thing with the gun is if you don't shoot low enough you don't get the brain stem. If the stem is intact you end up with a "chicken running around with his head cut off". The stories of the chickens living without a head had this done to them. When you use a gun on a bird it's just hard to get low enough to get the brain stem, but high enough not to damage the meat.

comon' boys and girls,

develope a slight sense of humor, and keep in mind that the doc has a vague understanding of anatomy. what the heck... for a nominal fee i'll pass the ether and throw you a free lobotomy, oops that procedure can't be performed twice...

doc

I have used the .22 method and had no problems, it was on two roosters that had gotten mean and no one wanted to get close so I shot them from a safe distance, I prefer the hatch method as it is a lot easier and safer for the surrounding farms.

So have you done it yet?
tongue.png

I just did my first two broilers this week; one with a hatchet and one with our .22 long rifle. Here are my thoughts...

Hatchet pros:
- removes the head early in the processing.
- readily available, one-time purchase.

cons:
- need a sharp and heavy hatchet, grim determination, excellent aim and force.
- rather traumatic for the inexperienced.

.22lr pros:
- in experienced hands a shot to the back of the head is instant death, with 15 seconds or less of flapping.
- when properly set up this method is very clean.

cons:
- need to be experienced with guns and gun safety.
- still have to remove the head.
- need ammo.

Overall I'd have to say the rifle was a far better experience for a country noob like me (of course, I'm a gun noob too, but I've had some time with our plinker so I have more confidence hitting a mark with a bullet than a hatchet
wink.png
). If I had a good heavy cleaver instead of a hatchet I may try that method again, but with the quick shot from the .22lr I knew that the bird didn't suffer nearly as much. As it stands right now I don't have the guts to try the cone & knife method -I'd definitely need an experienced person to show me how before I had the confidence to try it.

Anyway, sorry for rambling! But I had been wondering about this subject too, and thought I'd add my findings. Good luck!
smile.png

mlheran,

Thanks for your informative/personal experience post.
big_smile.png

No, we've not accomplished the "deed" yet. Life keeps getting in the way and I'm beginning to think that "the boys" have some kind of rooster juju working against me.
gig.gif

In all seriousness though, we've given up on the .22 idea and the cone at this point in time. The good news is that our neighbor and dear friend has volunteered to come over and help us out. So now we're just waiting until he has time as he works for himself and that includes weekends.
th.gif

Dawn, the rooster farmer

Hey DOC....maybe I'm the only one who laughed at that...not many know what a gilly suit is, or even how big the 50 cal is!! LMAO I had the whole mental picture...sitting in the timber/weeds...wait for it, wait for it....breath, relax........

Quote:
I think the 50 cal might be a little too much. I don't think you would have to "aim" for the brain stem as even the bullet just passing, just close is probably enough to take the head clean off from the shock wave of a projectile going mach 2. Your right though they would never know what hit them. Do you need a spotter? Tromping through the forest with guns, sounds like a good time to me.

peace
josh

whoo rah,

doc found some kids that understand " touching someone from 2 klicks" oh well, most couldn't handle that much adreneline. hehe...

hdchick, you are probably one of the very few, no pun intended...squeeze on the out breath. love your avatar!

josh, you gotta love mach 2... even the whoosh does damage. unfortunatly the spotter's position is taken by little mother (dawn419), i know for a fact that she can keep her scope from flashing, without giving up our position. it's been 14 yrs, and we are tacticaly one with each other, among other things...

whoo, does that sound like total survivalist ilk or what?
oh well, for good or ill our compound is well defended.

cheers

doc

Back
Top Bottom