New Jersey

Look what we woke up to this morning. We've been having trouble with squirrels eating the chicken food so we figured we'd trap and relocate a few. We left the trap out with some food in it and forgot to take the food out of it last night and wallah....... Thank goodness our coops are completely secure. It's hard to tell from the photo but this is a huge raccoon. It's bigger than both of our boston terriers. He now resides at the park a few miles away with lots of his old friends, a few skunks, and some opossums.

Does anyone else have trouble with squirrels????? They can empty the feeder in a matter of a few hours!

Nope. I have a run. When a squirrel does wander into the yard, the chickens chase them out. Not kidding. Over the summer, my birds ganged up on a poor squirrel, jumped on it and were pecking it! I had to chase them away to save the squirrel. They also chase wild birds. Plus, my mom feeds the squirrels and wild birds seeds and peanuts so they eat that instead. Any squirrel caught in my run would be chicken feed, :(

That's so funny! Complete opposite at my place. The squirrel eats from their feeder while the five chickens circle around it watching from about five feet away. Last summer when we would leave the run door open while the girls free range we actually saw the squirrel going in and out of their coop.

Look what we woke up to this morning. We've been having trouble with squirrels eating the chicken food so we figured we'd trap and relocate a few. We left the trap out with some food in it and forgot to take the food out of it last night and wallah....... Thank goodness our coops are completely secure. It's hard to tell from the photo but this is a huge raccoon. It's bigger than both of our boston terriers. He now resides at the park a few miles away with lots of his old friends, a few skunks, and some opossums.

Does anyone else have trouble with squirrels????? They can empty the feeder in a matter of a few hours!
Makes me wonder what I would catch if I put the trap out. Hmmm. Glad you got another one. And just for the heck of, leave it out at night. Get them out of the neighborhood before they multiply this spring.

It never occurred to me to set the trap now but after last night we definitely will. Maybe we could reduce the population like you said. That would be nice. We are putting up electric fencing next month too. We are going to section off a large portion of our back yard with it.

Makes me wonder what I would catch if I put the trap out. Hmmm. Glad you got another one. And just for the heck of, leave it out at night. Get them out of the neighborhood before they multiply this spring. 

I can only imagine what you would catch!!! You're in such a more wooded area than me. You have deer that cone to your fence right?

I can only imagine what you would catch!!! You're in such a more wooded area than me. You have deer that cone to your fence right?
Yes, and through it too. There is two sections out back with bent bars. One section bent inward (entering). The other bent outward (leaving). Let me know how the electric fence goes. I plan on cleaning some of the brush behind the fence to make more area for them and never thought of the electric fence.

Seriously jonesing for a modern game bantam. The wife is jonesing for a silkie. We have already more eggs than we know what to do with, so one of them could be a rooster. I know I should wait until May for the Sussex show, but it's hard.

I know people have silkies, but does anyone in central Jersey keep modern game bantams? Who maybe needs to rehome a rooster?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom