New Jersey

I am 90% positive one of my Girls has Coccidiosis. She is all puffed up and there is bloody stool  in the brooder. It just started this morning. I am going to go buy some corid and treat her. I am assuming that I should treat them all to be safe? I feel so terrible, I have been letting them go outside because it has been so nice. they have only been outside twice. I could cry!! Worst part is I wont be able to treat her until later this afternoon. Is there any hope in this situation if i get her treated today? Should I separate her? 

Are you sure it's just not intestinal lining? It's easy to make that mistake. Have they been on medicated feed? Here is the poop chart, take a look.

http://pluckandfeather.com/chicken-poo-chart-graphic.html

I would probably separate her for now. You can try adding some electrolytes to her water. Corid takes quite a while to begin working so if you have to wait a day or so it won't make all that much of a difference. I believe they have to be on that for 30 days.

Look at the link that was posted about the different kinds of poop. If you are not positive about the bloody stool and none of the others are showing signs of anything, it may be something else isolated to just her.

Are you sure it's just not intestinal lining? It's easy to make that mistake. Have they been on medicated feed? Here is the poop chart, take a look.

http://pluckandfeather.com/chicken-poo-chart-graphic.html

I would probably separate her for now. You can try adding some electrolytes to her water. Corid takes quite a while to begin working so if you have to wait a day or so it won't make all that much of a difference. I believe they have to be on that for 30 days.

Look at the link that was posted about the different kinds of poop. If you are not positive about the bloody stool and none of the others are showing signs of anything, it may be something else isolated to just her.
UGGGG I am more confused now!! I just got home and everyone seems FINE and there are no signs of a bloody poo anywhere?!?
I looked at that link and yes it could have been the lining ( I guess this is a normal occurrence?), however to me it looked a little more watery. But like I said no bloody poo anywhere and I was not home for a few hours. While I was out I did pick up the Cordi, should I still give it to them or just some electrolytes like suggested. Thanks for the help guys.

Quote:
Baby chicks are tough. You don't want to give them the Corid if they are on medicated feed - that's too much medication for them. Try also giving them some people food treats that are good for their tummy: a little yogurt mixed with some cornmeal, a bit of the real apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in their water, an apple. If the sick one is looking weak, you can separate her to give her some quiet. It's also hard sometimes for new chicken owners to recognize the difference in appearance between taking a quick standing nap and being sick.

Baby chicks are tough. You don't want to give them the Corid if they are on medicated feed - that's too much medication for them. Try also giving them some people food treats that are good for their tummy: a little yogurt mixed with some cornmeal, a bit of the real apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in their water, an apple. If the sick one is looking weak, you can separate her to give her some quiet. It's also hard sometimes for new chicken owners to recognize the difference in appearance between taking a quick standing nap and being sick.
Yes I a seeing that now, I thought I was doing really well and today I am a mess. They are on medicated feed, so I will hold of on the Crorid. I will give them some yogurt and I will get some apple cider vinegar. I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by "with the mother".
The one is question isn't looking sick at all, She is hoping around peeping away. So I am not sure what is going on. They do look a little chilled I put the light back on them( I took it of in the heat yesterday). If it was Coccidiosis would their poop be bloody every time?
Thanks

my girls spent the night outside the last few nights.
With the temps going down and the rain coming should I bring the back inside? They are 9 weeks. The goose adopted the ducklings but she is not sitting on them I'm afraid they will get to cold they are only a few weeks still fluff no feathers
What to do?
idunno.gif

If the chicks are feathered and have a dry shelter they should be fine. My are staying out, it's warmer in the shed than my basement. Are the ducklings feathered? If not i think I would bring them in or lock them up in something warm so they can snuggle.

Quote:
That's the frustrating thing - you WON'T get bloody poop all the time. Most chicken illnesses happen this way. When I go to Kirby's this weekend, I will try and ask for more info about cocci. I had it once, but didn't recognize it, because I was also looking for bloody poop, and there was very little. Finally they got sick enough to have other symptoms. I didn't lose any, but they were not feeling well for quite awhile. That was my only foray into giving non-medicated feed, in my attempt to "go natural." I won't do that again!

The best indicator with ANY illness is the bird's behavior. Unfortunately for us, they are often quite sick by the time we notice anything, as animals project illness differently from people. They won't lie in a corner moaning - they are pretty stoic. I've stood over a dead bird yelling at it about why couldn't it have at least sneezed or something, so I had a chance to fix it!

With the babies, yours and Ginny's, the application of heat is another thing where you use the observations of their behavior. If they aren't huddled up in one big shivering ball, they are probably warm enough. If they are spread out as far from the heat as they can get, they are probably too warm. Use your mom instincts. Once they are outside, the best thing you can do for them is make sure there are no drafts in the coop. It's the drafts that hurt them, and dampness - not the temperature. If in doubt, bring them in the garage. A cardboard box is good for that - no drafts. Sometimes going back and forth between the warm house and the cooler outside is sometimes too much stress.

The hardest thing about having chickens is that they DO die from stuff that you cannot help. It took me a while to accept that. The way I deal with it is to provide the best physical conditions and feed I can, keep an eye on them for signs of illness, and have the appropriate solutions on hand. That's really all you can do. If you've done that, and something still happens, you know you've done your best. You will probably lose some along the way as you gain more knowledge. I lost a favorite bird a few years ago that I could probably save today - I just simply didn't have the knowledge back then that I do now. That's hard to accept. I also lost the three to a hawk this winter, because I didn't realize how sneaky and determined they could be about small openings in my run. I feel very guilty about that, but I've attended to the openings, and had another person check the run, too, so I think I'm safe for now. Thus, the knowledge I gained over that incident has helped the birds I have in the future, and can even help other people I share that knowledge with, as my chicken mentors have shared their knowledge with me. Sometimes we all ask ourselves why we do this (have chickens) when they can e so frustrating, but then we see them taking a dust bath, or sleeping in the sun, or just pecking around, and we know that, despite all frustrations, we couldn't live without them!

Have to go hug my girls now!

Back
Top Bottom