New Jersey

I have two bantam Faverolles cocks, and they have a deeper crow. Certainly not as loud as a LF. I did have a small Sebright mix once, that had a higher-pitched crow - his voice carried much farther. The girls really like having a "man" in the house, so I will always try to have one. (I'm technically allowed to have roosters, but I'm trying to be a good neighbor, as well - our yards are fairly close together.

If I can't find a rehome option for him I may hold out to see how loud his crow gets. If tolerable to dear hubby I may keep him otherwise he has to go back to the farm.

Thank you so much for all this information. Really helpful. I will check out all the links. I tell my husband that three is not enough. He says two is fine. I am thinking seven. I will go with two for now but secretly buy a coup for seven. Lol.

Thank you so much for all this information. Really helpful. I will check out all the links. I tell my husband that three is not enough. He says two is fine. I am thinking seven. I will go with two for now but secretly buy a coup for seven. Lol.

I originally thought 4 was enough...that was 2 years, an addition to the coop/run and many chickens ago. I now have 18 and looking forward to next years additions teehee! Darn chicken math!

Last edited:

I always advise at least four, if only to help with the body heat in the winter, I started with six. Also, as chickens have an annoying tendency to die from various things, two is NOT enough. (Don't let this discourage you - it's just a fact you need to be aware of.) These are flock animals - they like company!

The others are right, though - build the biggest coop and run you can - you WILL fill it up! But, my biggest advise is always DON"T RUSH! The birds will be there when you're ready. Your biggest investment in their safety and well-being is the time and effort you take before they even arrive at your house. Have the coop and run ready, and predator-proof, before you order or go to purchase anything! Also, beware of some of the pre-made coops. A lot of the ones I've seen did not have nest boxes and pop doors big enough for the larger breeds. My nest boxes are 14". Some of them have to duck their heads to get through my 15" tall pop-door. Just make sure you check out the measurements before you buy.

If you can stand it until October, I am giving a talk on how to do all of this at the Middletown Library on October 5th. You can do all of your research until then.

Thank you so much. I am doing all the research I can and will by no means rush into this. I am going to Dearborn with the kids to a summer class about chickens this month and would love to hear you speak on the 5th of October at the library. We live there pretty much. I am also trying to locate a chicken group for the kids.
Thanks again.

Thank you so much. I am doing all the research I can and will by no means rush into this. I am going to Dearborn with the kids to a summer class about chickens this month and would love to hear you speak on the 5th of October at the library. We live there pretty much. I am also trying to locate a chicken group for the kids.
Thanks again.

A class at Dearborn?? I'll have to check that out.

Good for you for living at the library! Everyone should!

There's no 4H clubs for chickens around here. The closest I found is in Farmingdale - quite a ways. Still, ask the leaders at the Monmouth County Fair when you go - there may be something new since I last asked.

There's no 4H clubs for chickens around here.  The closest I found is in Farmingdale - quite a ways.  Still, ask the leaders at the Monmouth County Fair when you go - there may be something new since I last asked.
[/quote]

I'm not sure how many years ago you inquired but Monmouth Livestock has been active since the 60's. I'm a club leader (dog project) and Bob Nichols and his wife are co-leaders. They meet at their farm in Howell. True the livestock club has kids involved in goat, sheep and poultry but the current makeup of the club has a good number of chicken and duck projects. They exhibit at the Fair and open 4-H shows throughout the State.

Back
Top Bottom