New Jersey

Pics
Raccoons out during the day is not usually a sign of rabies, thankfully. More and more, raccoons forage during the day to seek additional food sources. Luckily for chickens, they also tend to be quite loopy during daylight hours (unlike Red Bank's visitor) and much less aggressive.

One day some years back when my BJ roo and hen Ellie were able to free range (before more and more people in town let their dogs roam) I looked out the window on a bright sunny day and saw a raccoon walk right past Ellie, seemingly completely oblivious to her. Next thing I know, Ellie is following the raccoon (No! Don't do that! my brain screamed as I raced outside). Well, Ellie chased after the raccoon till it left the yard. The raccoon could not have been less interested in her and she clearly did not perceive it as a threat given it's behavior. I talked to animal control about it at the time and they said that nowadays raccoons wandering in the daytime is much more common and that they are generally not rabid. As more and more natural habitat is destroyed by our speccies, other species like the raccoons are trying to adapt by finding food at alternate times.

Chicken guardians should of course exercise extreme care given that, as with anything, there may be some some exceptions to the rule... That is, while most daytime raccoons are docile some will manage to be awake enough to want chicken for lunch.
JJ

JJ, thanks for the reply. I did look up the topic of daytime raccoons, right here on BYC, and there were quite a few posts on the subject. Most did not believe it was a sure sign of a diseased raccoon, but more likely a juvenile, or mother with pups to feed.

So this morning around 8am I look across the street and there is a red fox. Not that it surprises me that there would be foxes around. Where I live is not particularly rural, but there is enough undeveloped area around my house to support some wildlife. Just north in Middletown there have been incidents with coyotes. But I am taken somewhat aback by the boldness.

foxes and coyotes are seen during the day alot more often this time of year. hunters tend to scare them out of the woods and theres also less food around.

probably because of loss of habitat. we are running out of woods in this state, also since coyotes are breeding like crazy the foxes have to look harder for food.

Anyone going to the Northeastern Poultry Conference? It's Jan 14th & 15th in Springfield, Mass. There will be a BYC table there, where BYCers can meet up and take a load off. Anyone willing to field questions at the table from the general masses for an hour or more is eligible for a 6 month GFM upgrade -PM Stoopid for details.

Hope to see you there! I'll be in my newly acquired blue (and man, is it blue!) BYC hoodie. -Martha

Quote:
I'll be there, with about ten birds, seven LF. (Because I'm insane!) I'll be helping man the table in the morning, and throughout the day. (Due to my vast experience at covering the table at the Crossroads!
roll.png
) We are asking peeps to bring their own folding chairs, as we don't know what will be available. We have to provide the table, too!

We will have the banner, plus some BYC goodies to give away. We're hoping to create a great gathering spot for all of us who are there. Those of you who want to man the table, bone-up on your BYC knowledge so you can answer questions! It really was fun spreading the word in Indianapolis, and the hour goes fast.

**This will be Saturday, as Sunday is pack-up-and-go-home day, although we may hang at the table a bit until they set us free, but it won't be like on Saturday. I hope to be on my way by noon.

For more info about the show, check this out:

www.poultrycongress.com

See you there!!

Quote:
I've seen quite a few foxes this year already up here. I rarely saw them while I was in South Jersey though.

I was hoping to make it up to the show in Mass but still haven't heard back about my schedule. I think it will probably be too late at this point to get a hotel room, but I hope all you guys have a good time!

I lost 9 chickens in one afternoon. 4 they left dead in the coop. I suspected fox and called a local trapper friend of mine. In three weeks he has trapped 7 fox. Number 7 was caught today. I have also shot 2. Central NJ is overun with fox and coyotes. I am sure they are in south jersey too. All the snares set were within 20ft of my coop.

Back
Top Bottom