New Jersey

@NJchix and @SparkleChic
we are starting with a small flock of four. Our township doesn't have ordinances and the Zoning officer OKd our property, but we pretty much run a zoo with lots of pets so we aren't going big...yet ;)
We ordered one of each of the following:
Barred Rock
White Leghorn
New Hampshire Red
Easter Egger Mutt (my little sister loves the colored eggs)

All are pullets, no roosters are allowed due to our nearness to the neighbors.

We're really using chickens more as pets than producers, as many of you here do. I personally would love to own 22 chickens myself, but atm my family isn't able to do it with limited space :(

thanks for all the warm welcomes, i'm sure i'll post more as i get deeper into my chicken adventure!
-eggsforthewin :)
That's a great combo to start with.

They look nice kahlua. The carton on the right, there is the row of nice blue eggs to the left, which ones are those. I like them. Also the Marans are nice color too. Beside the OE what else would I be able to get?
I need to see what hatches...I've tried to incubate my EE eggs before, but they weren't fertile. One of the girls lays a very light sky blue, the other is a darker blue. I really hope fertility has gone up, they should be beautiful chicks. Pics of my EE's are on the article that was POW last week...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/axl-the-ee

My silkie eggs have been very fertile and have hatched out really well, so I should have a few black silkies available.

Someone from this thread (Sparklechic) has expressed interest in some of the wheaten marans, and I would like to keep some too, but if enough hatch I should have a few I can sell.

I may collect eggs for one more week, I just realized I've only got about a week or ten days' worth of eggs. I might as well wait a little longer.

In the pic of the eggs - the colors are finally true to life, at least on my screen! Usually the eggs get washed out in pics. The color of the marans eggs are really nice, I think that my roo and Pheonix (the green layer) will make some lovely OE chicks.

Last edited:
I need to see what hatches...I've tried to incubate my EE eggs before, but they weren't fertile. One of the girls lays a very light sky blue, the other is a darker blue. I really hope fertility has gone up, they should be beautiful chicks. Pics of my EE's are on the article that was POW last week...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/axl-the-ee

My silkie eggs have been very fertile and have hatched out really well, so I should have a few black silkies available.

Someone from this thread (Sparklechic) has expressed interest in some of the wheaten marans, and I would like to keep some too, but if enough hatch I should have a few I can sell.

I may collect eggs for one more week, I just realized I've only got about a week or ten days' worth of eggs. I might as well wait a little longer.

In the pic of the eggs - the colors are finally true to life, at least on my screen! Usually the eggs get washed out in pics. The color of the marans eggs are really nice, I think that my roo and Pheonix (the green layer) will make some lovely OE chicks.

Well you know I what the OE, and if you could spare a few Marans I would like some. My one maran doesn't lay an egg dark enough to even consider her a Marans. :(

Well you know I what the OE, and if you could spare a few Marans I would like some. My one maran doesn't lay an egg dark enough to even consider her a Marans.  :(

Sure thing, I will collect eggs for another week so hopefully I'll have some extras! I'll keep you posted.

I would also be interested in a few Marans if you have extras to sell! There's a guy in hardwick that had awesome Marans and I'm hoping to get some this spring. Do you sell eggs to hatch? I haven't hatched in forever but have been thinking about setting a few in my incubator.

I would sell eggs, but probably not for a couple months. I only have a trio and will be hatching whatever I get from them for a while...some to keep and some to sell. I also wanted to switch out my roo at some point, with one of my blue Wheaten ameraucanas over the two wheaten Marans girls for Wheaton/BW OEs. But if a lot of people want pure Marans, that can wait.

Who's the guy in Hardwick with Marans, and do you know what varieties he has? I wouldn't mind a few more!

Later in the spring I will set up a pen for Orloffs too - but right now only two are laying, so would like to wait until all are laying and then will pick out the best.

Back
Top Bottom