New Jersey

I would love any advice on place to purchase chickens. I am looking to purchase sexed chicks - hen's only. Per neighborhood ordinance I am not allowed to have roosters. I am also looking to purchase a mix of breeds. I have found on place in PA (about 2 hrs away) that is the closest I have found that will allow me to purchase individuals of each breed and they also do not have a order size requirement so I can purchase just a few birds.

Where are you located? I'm in Burlington County. Many of the Agway and Tractor Supply stores carry day-old chicks in the Spring time and (I believe) you can pick a mix of breeds. We've gotten our chicks at Kirby's Feed Store on Main Street in Medford. It's local to us and a family owned and run. They can give you the schedule of when they'll have different breeds in. You can pick up the other supplies there too. You can definitely mix and match breeds.

http://www.kirbybros.com/index.php

Edited to add: Just keep in mind that even sexed chicks have some risk of mis-sexing. Hatcheries promise about 90% accuracy or so. So sometimes even sexed chicks could actually turn out to be cockerels. So if you start as chicks, have a back-up plan in mind of someone who'll take cockerels....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom