New Jersey

Araucanas are the rumped, sometimes tufted birds. Ameraucanas are the purebred version of EEs. Personally, all my eggs taste the same, but my EE eggs are really tough to crack. One of my EEs makes this yelling sound when I'm near her, but the other one likes to squeak when she gets treats! My two always hang out together. When one goes broody, the other one does. This usually results in them sharing a nest box and sitting on each other (as you can see in my avatar, lol).
I hate winter, well, I hate the cold. I'd take a 90 degree summer day over 20 degrees anytime!

Oh yeah. Its all coming back to me now. I like the Ameraucana look better I think. I'm hoping that one or both my EE babies will lay blue or pink as I already have mint green and all different shades of brown. :)

We are getting slammed here in south jersey. I think we already have more snow on the ground than all snow combined for the season. My poor chickens don't know what to do. Hang in there for a few more days ladies!

Yep, me too. I'm in central jersey. At least 5-6 inches out there already. I didn't see my girls venture out @ all today. They're probably hunkering down in the coop!

Hi everyone,

There are efforts afoot to legalize chickens in several towns in the South Jersey area - and there are Facebook groups up for those who are interested. Please join if this is you! :)

Collingswood Chicken Uprising: https://www.facebook.com/groups/145977947876/

Haddon Township Hens: https://www.facebook.com/groups/372659689497356/

...and brand new, the Chickens Run in Haddonfield: https://www.facebook.com/groups/432262516941946/

-Katy, in Haddonfield with about 8+ inches of snow. Still had to go to work today, though!

Best of luck to everyone in those towns. I can't imagine not having chickens. Properly taken care of, they don't smell or attract rats or make alot of noise. (Roosters are another story). And coops can be so much fun. Don't forget that fresh eggs shared with uneasy neighbors go a long way.

My girls won't step outside if they see it snowing. If there's snow in the run, forget it. That means I have to feed them inside the coop (messy) and bring water out to them several times throughout the day (I don't want the coop getting wet from the waterer, plus it freezes anyways).
I hope those towns can legalize chickens. My town used to be pretty lenient, but a few irresponsible owners have led to the creations of regulations.

I've wrapped my coop for the past two winters - best thing I ever did. Girls out everyday. Remember, if you go this route, to make sure there's plenty of ventilation.

Last edited:
Just offering to BYC first. I have 6 adorable blue/green egg layer chicks looking for a home. (3/$10) 5 are true breed Ameraucana chicks and 1 will be an oliver egger. Rooster is black ameraucana over blue and black ameraucana hens. The oliver egger is from GL wyandotte mix and the ameraucana rooster. I live in south jersey and would be willing to meet halfway for you north jersey chicken lovers. (I have eggs from these chickens too. Great fertility) They were hatched 3/5-6/2015. Photos available. No shipping, pick up only Please PM Thanks

Back
Top Bottom