New Jersey

Hi Bob I'm in cape mAy area..presently I go to TS I found a place in Woodbine which some things are pretty reasonable..but it's Gmo stuff..does the place in Egg Harbor have a organic line..also I'm looking for laying hens..and particularly old English game hens for brooding..got any leads?

I'm only just trying to find out info at this point, don't have any chicks yet so haven't yet actually seen what they have to know if they have organic or not. I only know that they are listed as a farm supply and their website lists poultry.

im in galloway, so i go to the TS in Egg harbor twp. ill have to try butterhofs, thanks for the sugestion.
Is that Egg Harbor twp or Little Egg Harbor? I'm pretty sure they have one in Little Egg Harbor but never seen in EHT.

I'm only just trying to find out info at this point, don't have any chicks yet so haven't yet actually seen what they have to know if they have organic or not. I only know that they are listed as a farm supply and their website lists poultry.

Is that Egg Harbor twp or Little Egg Harbor? I'm pretty sure they have one in Little Egg Harbor but never seen in EHT.
oops! youre so right, it is little egg harbor. so many places with egg harbor in the name i mix em up all the time
hmm.png

Thats mother natures way of getting back at us! The official first day of spring and we are expecting snow...lol

So would anyone have some advice on how to get squirrels to stop eating my bulbs? Last October my girls and i planted more than 50 -60 tulips,dafodils, and crocus. Today, i took a stroll around my garden only to find holes everywhere! I even found one plant that has begun growing and the dang squirrel got the bulb and left me the green part. So upset :(

I also had another question more chicken related. Is it ok to use tree leaves in the run? My family just bought a house with a large oak tree near by. So i bagged, and dumped in the run? I figured it would break down eventually.

Sorry to hear about your bulbs. I don't have any hints for you on that subject. I have however had great success with oak and maple leaves in my runs. I basically live in the woods so I have lots of leaves. I also have muddy runs when it rains. Why? Because I removed all the leaves! So now I blow the leaves back into the runs and the chicks love it! They scratch and dig around looking for goodies. Now that its spring, the leaves are gone. They broke down over the winter and I'm back to mud! (not so bad now)

Ok Thanks!! Thats good to know. I have dirt in my run, so it does get muddy real quick. As, for the bulbs. I read to cover them with chicken wire. So thats going to be my best bet.

Today is the day! 9 hens and 9 eggs is a wonderful thing. They have been consistent all winter but my last little girl made it a clean sweep. The first day of spring and 5 inches of snow on the ground.
Last fall I filled large trash bags with leaf litter that I raked up. I left the bags open and stored them in a dry place. During the winter I would dump half a bag in the run. This really made things interesting for a few days. It seem that they can't remember which leave they turned over so they keep doing it.

Got my MM chick package on Monday. Many little peepers in the dining room.

Fun stuff......

Back
Top Bottom