New Jersey

All white body and wings, top and bottom? Maybe a Leucistic Red Tail Hawk. Many people confuse them with snow owls. Best to search google images of white hawks and have him pick out the culprit.

So there's actually a bunch of threads on this. Mixed opinions on why they're sold in the first place. One person on a thread put them in the incubator and they began to develope. I didn't see b if they ended up hatching though.

He picked out chicken hawk, goshswk, and a few light colored hawks.... so it's a mute point if he can't pick one ...

I don't think there are any purely white hawk species in NJ... There are gyrfalcons which are nearly pure white, but they are not native to NJ (although there could be a very small chance a falconer's bird escaped, being that they are very common in falconry). Goshawks are definitely lighter in color and are native. Cooper's can appear on the lighter side, and are pretty big and are known for attacking chickens (one attacked my silkie last spring). There are also Sharp-shinned hawks which can appear lighter, but are smaller and usually eat songbirds. However like mechanic57 said, you could have been extremely lucky and seen a leucistic variety of hawk.

Bauer that is so weird to see fertile eggs in a store. Are they in the refrigerated section ?

Wondering if anyone has tried hatching those??

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Yes people hatch these. Check out the thread for trader Joe's and whole foods. I am trying it out as we speak
1f600.png

Last edited:
When did the hawk attack occur? How big was the hawk? If it was late fall-early spring, maybe it was a male harrier. They are pretty rare but are called "grey ghosts" because of their overall grey

Also are you on or near large fields? They are only found over large grasslands, marshes or ag fields. If you are in a more wooded area than its definitely something else.

I have 7.5 acres of fields behind me, wooded down the bottom but right behind me it's all open. Tiki it happened Dec 22 during a misty rain. 230 in the afternoon. I have one tree near my house, open yard, then 11 pine trees bordering me and then open field. My husband said it gad slit of white on it. My legbar died from her injuries this past weekend from thEd attack..

Back
Top Bottom