New Jersey

Pics
Quote:
Yup. I was there today. They got some Bobwhite Quail and some Guinea Keets in as well as a few other chicks. They're winding their chick season down now, though.

The only downside: They only sell their birds in multiples of 6.

well six is a good number, and if you want less you could always talk someone into going halfsies ith you.

do you know if they have a minimum on turkeys? i only want one to raise for thanksgiving and their website says they are getting some in today.

I agree - it's a little late for a Turkey if you wanted it for Thanksgiving. If you post more about it in the meat section, they'd prolly tell you the same thing. I posted about this perhaps a few weeks ago or maybe a month? They told me I was "pushing it" then. lol.

I was just there this morning. All but 4 of the quail are gone and they didn't get anything new in. I doubt they'd get turkey in again. I was there for the big turkey shipment and all of the turkeys sold out within three days. One guy bought most of them.

I wonder how they sold that many bob whites overnight and if one person bought most of them. They do better with lots of space and in pairs rather than crowding them like couturnix.

I have a couple Royal Palm turkeys' hatching in a couple weeks. They're not so great for meat if you want a turkey for size, though.

I think richard schuster in Lakewood has some Red Bourbon poults you could buy now. Perhaps he'd have some that were already a couple months old?

Greetings from a newbie in Hamilton Twp.!
I received my first-ever chicks (females) last Wednesday: a salmon faverolles, a cuckoo Marans, a black copper Marans, A Golden-Laced Wyandotte and (fast becoming my unexpected favorite) a bantam Easter Egger.
I ordered from MPC because I only wanted a small number and had no clue (until recently) that there might be local resources for chicks of these breeds. But it's turned out well--the chicks survived their journey and appear to be healthy (and adorable, of course) and I wouldn't trade them for the world! I'm hooked!!
Although I've done much reading on the subject, and lurked at BYC for months, there is no substitute for actual experience! LOL

My goal is simply to raise 5 beautiful, healthy hens as pets and for eggs, in my small backyard. I'm an avid gardener and animal-lover, so raising chickens just seems to be a logical extension of both interests.
I'm looking forward to learning more about local resources and sharing experiences raising chickens in NJ.

Many of my friends and co-workers doubtless think I'm crazy for embarking on this Chicken Project, and I didn't dare let on to them just HOW excited I was for the arrival of my chicks!
I feel a bit isolated here, practically on the outskirts of Trenton, but hopefully I'm just blazing a trail that more and more will follow in the years to come!

-Jen

Guys, I have some 3 month old bantam Cornish, WLR, I'd like to pass on to someone. They're free. 2 males, 2 females. Found out they are not the show quality I was looking for, but they are very pretty. Males are not showing any dominance yet, although one is trying like heck to crow, poor guy. Very different from the fluffy birds. Will need a good, draft-free coop for the winter.

6103_dscn5108.jpg

6103_dscn5107.jpg

6103_dscn5110.jpg

Also, a mottled cochin hen, born 4/10, tends to be very broody. Will be gorgeous in about 18 months when her mottles come in over her next couple of molts. From a well-known breeder, but has a few showing faults. She's a peanut - right in between bantam and what the LF should be. Will be great as a broody hen, or for someone breeding mottled cochins. She's $50. This is her as a pullet - she's doesn't care for the camera.

6103_dscn4022.jpg

Hi Jersey Peeps, I have a pair of Mille Fleur Bantam Cochins for sale on CL is anyone here is interested! $30 takes 'em! I'm in Hunterdon County and they are on Central Jersey CL! Thanks!

Quote:
Nope , the bantams haven't done any destruction, the big girls on the otherhand!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom