New layer not using the nest boxes

KatsChicks2015

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2015
Hello, I have ten girls. At 5 months two started laying. Finally, another one has started laying but I have been finding that it is laying directly under the roost. Because of the location I've been throwing these eggs out, they've been dirty.

How do I get this new layer to use the box? Or do I put a temporary box in that location? I hate to do that since it will get covered in poop really fast.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Mine started out laying on the poop board in the coop. They were not interested in the nest boxes at all. I tried a couple different materials in the boxes. I don't know if they liked the dried grass best or if they finally just decided they like the cozy box better than the board but eventually the did move to the boxes. I didn't throw the eggs away that they laid on the poop board though. They are still good eggs, just rinse them off. You aren't eating the shells, the good stuff is on the inside.

Are their nests easy to get up into and down out of?
Have you tried putting some fake eggs/gold balls in the nests?

It can take up to a month or so for them to get 'control' and for things to smooth out, meanwhile

New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying, spreading the bedding everywhere.They will scratch around a bit less in nest as they get used to the routine. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs

When ours started laying, most were on the poopboard, we made some changes to the nesting boxes and they finally decided the boxes were to their liking and been laying in them ever since. Can you post a pic of your setup?
Also, dirty eggs can be washed, no need to throw them away.

Back
Top Bottom