1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Layer - Pippin the Red Star

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lavandula girl, Mar 2, 2009.

1. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

So... yesterday our new Red Star pullet gave up her first egg. A very cute, little pullet gift, in a lovely creamy tan color. She waited by it for quite awhile, apparently wanting the appropriate thanks for her effort. [​IMG]

So - not having had a Red Star before, can someone tell me... how long between that first effort and her days as an egg laying maven? And will her eggs eventually get as large as the Australorp and Barred Rock's contributions, do you think?

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    She may miss a day as she starts laying but in just a few days maybe a week she will start to pour eggs. Yes in a very short time they will be as big or almost as big (very close).Congrads.

3. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the quick info! Now, if we could just convince the EE that she's supposed to get on board as well. Everyone else is contributing to the cause.... but she's the classic middle child (middle of the pecking order.) Too busy bullying the lower two to get on the egg bandwagon. [​IMG]

4. phoenix rooster

phoenix rooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Portland, OR
    15 red stars, they were laying near 15 weeks. they do not take many days off. i get some jumbo sizes too after a few weeks. I'll be getting these more often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by