New layer stopped laying! please help!

PurpleChicken1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
Hi everyone! My 20 week old white star started laying a few days ago she laid a lovely egg then some very small ones and now she has stopped laying! It is the middle of summer where I am and she has no signs of moulting she doesn't feel eggbound and she looks and acts perfectly healthy. She is on feed that my previous chickens were on before and they had no problems. Could it be that she is just regulating her pattern? She hasn't laid in quite a few day. I would very grateful for any help! Thanks!!

The feed is from the uk where i am based. They are on a mix of layer pellets and mash. They do free range but I can't find any additional nests! They also have oyster shell and grit available at all times

Might want to coop them up until they are habituated to laying in the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Might want to coop them up until they are habituated to laying in the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.  Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it...at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

At the minute she is in a smaller coop with a few others but still nothing. She has been going to the nesting boxes and squatting!

Back
Top Bottom