1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Layer Trying to Go Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Allons-C, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Allons-C

Allons-C Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    Leesburg, VA
    One of my Dixie Rainbows, Princess Lay-a, started laying this past weekend She is about 19 weeks old and gave us our first egg late in the morning on Saturday. She behaved normally the rest of the day. On Sunday morning I found that she had laid two rubber eggs from her roost. I understand this to be normal at first. No worries. Around 11 ( the same time she laid her first egg) she started sitting in her nest box. After a little while I heard her Bawk-Bawk an egg announcement...but there was no egg. The rest of the day, every time I checked in she was sitting in the nest box. I kept shooing her out for fear that she was overheating (she was panting). Late this morning ( Monday) we had a lovely little egg and more of the same behavior. Is she trying to go broody already?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I really don't think so. She is a new laying hen and her system is just trying to "adjust" to what is happening to her. My gal was doing the same thing that first week of lay. She'd bwaak and go in the coop, bwaak and go back to the run...back and forth back and forth...drove me nuts! She'll settle down...just give her time.

1 person likes this.
  3. Allons-C

Allons-C Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    Leesburg, VA
    Thanks! I figured as much but as a new chicken mama I guess I was being a bit of a worry-wart. I've been able to find existing threads on here for all my other questions, just not this very specific question.
    Today, she already seems a lot more "normal." [​IMG] And, I believe I have another layer! Not sure who, yet--I found a floor egg when I opened the coop this morning and Princess Lay-a added her contribution later in the AM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by