1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New layer with soft eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducksforme, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ducksforme

ducksforme Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Hi everyone! I'm new to BYC and have only been a ducky Mommy (Welsh Harlequin) for about 6 1/2 months.
    My sweet Sadie started laying about two and a half weeks ago. A beautiful egg a day since she started. Today she laid two eggs, both of which were soft and powdery like. My drake, Skipper, and her both eat a starter/grower (Purina Organic) and I mix in Manna Pro layer in hers. Have to mix it because otherwise she doesn't seem to like it. They eat together and switch bowls as they eat, so I switch them back and forth. Can't always be with them the entire time they eat. They have oyster shells and grit separate.
    Can he be on a layer safely? Seems to be mixed feelings on this.
    Any suggestions?
    Love these babies so much and want to make sure they are healthy!!
    Thanks so much!!:)

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I never provide layer feed to my Ducks.....not saying this is how you should feed....

I feed my flock like this...I have two Drakes and hatch eggs.....

Duck finisher, Oat and Barley crumble and old style scratch grains....it has less corn......I feed lots of veggies during the week....Romain lettuce, peas, cucumber, tomatoes and other things....I also feed some fish based dry cat food as a treat.....

I have a bowl out with oyster shell and one with grit........

Cheers!

3. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    I don't know much about ducks, but I know that roosters can eat layer feed and be just fine. Also, welcome to BYC!

4. ducksforme

ducksforme Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks!! We do give treats...Cheerios, kale and romaine, peas. They are picky little ducks! Don't seem to like most veggies or fruits. Haven't since they were babies.

5. ducksforme

ducksforme Just Hatched

Feb 22, 2017
    Thank you!!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have a flock of Runners plus - fifteen girls, one boy. Actually, the boy has his two girls and they are separate from the rest most of the time. Long story.

Anyway - some of my Runners don't eat oyster shell, and need extra calcium. I feed an organic no-corn, no-soy layer feed btw.

So I add about 100 mg worth of calcium citrate every two or three days to the moistened feed.

I also, when I see eggs like you describe, figure out who is laying them, and give her an extra 100 mg calcium citrate once or twice a day for a few to several days, till the eggs get back to normal. I add it to their favorite treats and feed it to them privately (we sneak away from the flock). It is great fun and they seem to like special treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by