new layers...regular??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickntn, Sep 21, 2012.

1. chickntn

chickntn New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    I have four hens that are four months old. I collected one egg Thursday morning (my first) and one egg Thursday night. No eggs Friday morning and no eggs Friday night. Ok I admit I am disappointed but should I be worried or looking for hiding places? They are free range so it is possible they are hiding them. I dont really know what to expect.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

They are still really young. To start laying at four months is early, so be happy for that. [​IMG] It may take them a while to become "regular," and depending on breed, some will lay more often than others.

3. Probably only 1 of your hens is laying, a lot of new layers aren't regular, but if you want, you can go try to find some hidden eggs. As she gets more regular she should lay almost every day (Depending on her breed / genes )

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I have 4 of my 6 pullets laying. I get 1 egg per day, sometimes 2. They have only been laying for 8 days now. They will get more regular and larger with time.

5. Oh, and
    [​IMG]
    From the frozen world of Alaska! Glad to have ya!

6. sebocat

sebocat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Sterling, AK
    Frozen? Don't you mean soggy??

Anyhow, I got my first egg last friday, next one was Thursday, and #3 was today. I am told it takes a while before they are regular. Mine are 19 weeks. I have 12.

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    To clarify, it is one or two eggs total, not from each bird. I think each one is laying every other to every two days. I re-read this and it sounded like I had freak birds.

8. [​IMG]Sure wasn't soggy last winter!
    Is Sterling along the coast?

[​IMG] On your first egg

9. Hello from Calif. My young hens are now 16 wks. old. Reading on here, they are still too young to lay. My breed is Orpington & wyandottes mostly.
    At what age should they be laying??? I wonder if I will get any eggs this year or have to wait till next spring??? I am new to this hobby, joined this spring.
    Welcome chickntn!!

10. You should expect eggs around 5 months, sometimes sooner, sometimes later

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by