New layers & soft shell eggs under roost

ASHLEYINAK

Chirping
Feb 8, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Hi! I have a mixed flock of Barred Rock, Sapphire Gems, and what was listed as "color pack layers" that hit 20 weeks old this week. I switched them to layer pellets at 18 weeks when the first few started laying, and have been providing oyster shells for the last week. They free range my 1/4 acre backyard and forage for lots of bugs, grass, and I see that they've eaten a lot of baby kale that I had growing as well.

I have noticed that there are 1-3 soft shelled eggs a day under their roost the last few days, all from either the Barred Rock or Sapphire Gem chickens. Is this due to them being new layers? Needing to actually eat more calcium? Should I be worried about the bits of kale they ate? Or is this just new layers figuring things out?

I like to worry, obviously. :) Thank you all for any help you may provide!

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about kale at all It's good for them. I let my hens free range also but I like to keep them locked in run the am so they eat their chicken feed first instead of all the stuff they prefer....that way I know they are getting their calcium etc.
I often get wierd soft eggs when they first start laying. I'd just give it time. Also when it's really hot I've gotten wierd eggs too from older hens occasionally.

Yep, new layers sometimes lay soft shell eggs for their first couple of eggs. One of mine also laid her first two eggs (soft shell) from the roost first thing in the morning instead of going into the nest box. She is one of my better layers now and always uses the nest box:)

Thank you! I actually leave them in their under the coop run in the morning with their food as well! Glad to know it's pretty normal and I'll keep cleaning them up and crossing my fingers all of the eggs are regular soon.
I wouldn't worry about kale at all It's good for them. I let my hens free range also but I like to keep them locked in run the am so they eat their chicken feed first instead of all the stuff they prefer....that way I know they are getting their calcium etc.
I often get wierd soft eggs when they first start laying. I'd just give it time. Also when it's really hot I've gotten wierd eggs too from older hens occasionally.

Yep, new layers sometimes lay soft shell eggs for their first couple of eggs. One of mine also laid her first two eggs (soft shell) from the roost first thing in the morning instead of going into the nest box. She is one of my better layers now and always uses the nest box:)
Thank you, this is helpful and reassuring! Fingers crossed they all get it sorted out soon.

My big girl named extra crispy, who is a Plymouth Bard Rock laid her first egg off the roosting bar at night. This was her rubber soft shelled egg. 11C4D43B-E020-4676-853C-DE4DA25595D2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom