New Laying Bantam

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
My sweet little Dutch Bantam pullets are 25.5 weeks old. Buffy has experienced significant growth in her comb and wattles with reddening as well and has become more vocal than usual (these girls love to talk). I checked their pelvic spacing and both of them seem to be at POL. Today i found this egg in their coop and i feel almost certain that it's Buffy's. I am concerned about the amount of blood on the egg plus Buffy is looking to be feeling unwell. She'll puff up but is still active, eating and moving around without much, if any encouragement. I checked both of their vents and they look fine. With them being so tiny, I'm worried. Is this a concerning amount of blood for a first egg? Is it normal for some pullets to act off/unwell whenever they first begin to lay? I gathered a poop from her in hopes of attempting to do a direct smear fecal check with saline, since my other items necessary haven't arrived yet. I'm not having much luck with that, but i did find what looked to be coccidia but i can't see it anymore. It didn't look to be a large load like images found on my Google search. I did start Corid because i do remember seeing a foamy looking poop several days ago, and Buffy happily took a direct drench of Corid as well. Please share your thoughts and any suggestions.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @aart @BDutch
20201215_192232.jpg

20201215_192313.jpg

20201215_184311.jpg

The poop looked normal although a bit larger than her usual. I gathered it quickly in hopes of getting it inside to attempt a look over, so the paper towel sucked up the liquid. It was a normal consistency

Thank you for your time. I sincerely appreciate your time, knowledge and help.

It's not uncommon for there to be a little blood on the first few eggs. Generally that would be from tiny blood vessels that may burst during the laying process - being the first egg, I would not worry about it even though it may look unsettling.

Poop looks good to me. Coccidia are found in chicken poop so it's not surprising you saw that. Chickens become resistant to the strains found in their environment so you will see it in their stool, in the soil, etc.

Pullets are funny when they first come into lay, it's like they aren't quite sure of what's going on. If she's eating/drinking/pooping and active, I would just monitor her. Once she starts laying more consistently her odd behavior (usually) will go away.

It's not uncommon for there to be a little blood on the first few eggs. Generally that would be from tiny blood vessels that may burst during the laying process - being the first egg, I would not worry about it even though it may look unsettling.

Poop looks good to me. Coccidia are found in chicken poop so it's not surprising you saw that. Chickens become resistant to the strains found in their environment so you will see it in their stool, in the soil, etc.

Pullets are funny when they first come into lay, it's like they aren't quite sure of what's going on. If she's eating/drinking/pooping and active, I would just monitor her. Once she starts laying more consistently her odd behavior (usually) will go away.
Thank you so much for this. I have been so worried about her. I'm not sure if you remember or not, but i lost one of my other Dutch Bantam Pullets, Merida, a few months back. She didn't last long after showing symptoms of being unwell. I guess their size may have something to do with them succumbing so quickly. I've been out to check on her and she was under her "mom" (silkie hatched them and still covers them at night) but came out to see what i was doing and didn't seem any worse. I really appreciate your reassurance so much.

Thank you so much for this. I have been so worried about her. I'm not sure if you remember or not, but i lost one of my other Dutch Bantam Pullets, Merida, a few months back. She didn't last long after showing symptoms of being unwell. I guess their size may have something to do with them succumbing so quickly. I've been out to check on her and she was under her "mom" (silkie hatched them and still covers them at night) but came out to see what i was doing and didn't seem any worse. I really appreciate your reassurance so much.
Yes, I remember :hugs
It can be worrisome, so just keep an eye on her. Keep me posted on how she's doing.
Photos of her too! I'm sure she's a lovely thing:)

First eggs are difficult for some chickens. Some have blood, some lay a tiny egg, or one without a shell, or at a random place outside the coop, and others lay a first egg as if they know exactly what to do and have done this trick before.

Don’t worry too much. And as the others say do keep an eye open to see if its getting better the next days.

Back
Top Bottom