New laying hen.... What happened to egg?!?!

wallace707

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2015
I have a 9 month old silkie who started laying couple weeks ago. Almost everyday in the late afternoon. It just got pretty chilly here in SC and I didn't see an egg last couple days. Went out this morning and in pen area, not the coop where she lays, I find what's in the pic. Obviously its frozen.... WTH?!? Is something wrong with her? What do I need to do or watch for??

I think new layers have glitches like this occasionally and it's nothing to worry about unless it happens a lot. Hopefully someone more experienced will confirm this or give you more information.

I agree with above. New layers or old layers sometimes glitch and lay rubber eggs or just the whites and yolk. I havw found it normal in young pullets or old hens

Haha! We have 3 dogs and 3 cats, a 5 yo son and 3 yo daughter... And I swear I have paid more attention to these darn chickens than the rest of my family!! Never thought I'd get so attached
1f60d.png
.... I just started another thread about another hen that I'm worried about if you want to advise.... Thanks again!!

They do steal our hearts!! I never thought I would get so attached to them be now I started building a fodder system so they would be happy and have greens in the winter!!! I also have Pekin ducks, African geese, Muscovy ducks and turkeys with the chickens.

Last edited:
Got another one just now...pic won't load... So two rubbery unshelled eggs in less than 24 hours... Normal? Is it BC they have been on starter/grower? I just got the layer crumbles today....

Immature shell gland and inexperienced reproductive system. New layers get up to all sorts sometimes before they get it right. Offer her and the rest of the flock oystershell free choice on the side (not mixed in with their regular feed), so they can help themselves as they feel they need it. Once the bag of grower runs out, switch them to layer pellets.

OK my girl has had one more shell-less egg since the other two and nothing since. That was 5 days ago. I have her on layer feed and offering oyster shells..... Is it normal for her to have lsyed 10 perfect eggs then the shell less ones and now nothing in 5 days?

Back
Top Bottom