New laying hens aren't laying...

WallaWallaChick

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
Washington State
I am very new to chickens so please help me. I have a couple new hens we bought a couple of days ago. They were laying for their previous owner but haven't laid an egg since I brought them home. Is this normal?

Yep! My hen was starting to lay for her owner and when I brought her home she layed 1 egg that day. It took her 15 days after that to lay another.

Wallawallachick, Welcome to BYC. Chickens don't like change. They will be fine after they become accustom to their new home.Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have in the future. Alot of good help from alot of chicken fanciers is only a click away.

bigzio

frow.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!

Thanks for all of the help. I will rest easy knowing they just need some time to adapt to their new farm. Do chickens need help keeping warm in the colder months? They have a shelter but I wondered if they needed heat lights or ?? Believe me, I have lots of questions but I am LOVING the chickens and getting to learn more about them. I got 5 for my birthday and they are about 17 weeks and then two new laying hens on Friday.

Winterizing for the flock depends on where you live. Extreme weather like we have here requires a good shelter for starters. Having the correct breed for being able to winter well in your area is also important.
While you don't show your state or country, a specific plan for .preperation would apply their, with help from alot of fanciers in your region.

bigzio

Chickens can handle quite cold weather just by fluffing up and huddling together. What WILL get them though is draftiness. Chickens can survive still, bitter weather - but be taken down by cold breezy weather.

Big combs and waddles get hit bad by frostbite too. I'd love to have roos with huge combs, but rose-combs are better in bitter temps.

Another aspect is feathering. Fluffy chickens like Cochins and Brahmas practicly laugh at Jack Frost! We have a slightly built, sleakly feathered OEGB who gets brought in during especially bitter cold snaps.

-Frank

Back
Top Bottom