New live trap--Successful!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicks4kids, Apr 28, 2009.

1. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    We have had a predator for weeks now that just kept playing with the store bought live trap. Always setting it off, dragging it across the back deck, eating suet and whatever it could find, so of course my girls (chickens) became a number one concern. Now we have caught coon, possum, and skunk in our store bought trap so my concern was maybe a wild cat or coyote. So, after careful thought, my husband built me a 5 ft. long by 2 by 2 trap to catch whatever it was. Here is what we caught...

[​IMG]

Just too big too fit in the old trap!

[​IMG]

So at 2:30 in the morning, we had to lug this heavy cage off of the back deck to the ground because of his trying to tear and fight through the cage. He was way too loud and aggressive. But it was a success all in all! Kudos to my hubby who supports my hobbies and does his best to keep them safe!! BTW, we will be putting wheels on one end so that it will be easier to move.

Hope this gives other ideas on possible traps to catch those predators!!

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    You got yourself a handyman there [​IMG] nice trap [​IMG]

3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Looks like a nice trap, good for your hubby!!! Maybe he should start selling his own. [​IMG]

4. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you skin it, make it into a coonskin hat and send it to me? I pay $50 dollars for it. [​IMG]

Just kidding.

I'm going to borrow my friends live trap again and see if I can catch a coon of my own. I'm going to nail it onto my chicken coop as a warning to the other coons.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    4 Love of Baby Chickens-that is too funny!! I have a pair of turkey buzzards nesting nearby, so they've been feasting!! I could hang that skin in no time as well at the rate they're going.

I gotta tell you though, that coon was elusive! I couldn't believe it. We've had our share out here, but I honestly was thinking it had to be a critter higher up on the food chain...we just couldn't catch it!! Or see it!!

6. jaredslilcluckers

jaredslilcluckers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Nice trap

7. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help it. Coons killed over half of my flock this past summer. Except for 3 hens and a pullet that I still have.

There's plenty of coons around here. I often see their tracks by the spring fed creek where there are alot of crawdads for them to eat.

8. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quote:AHA! I'm not the only person who says crawdads instead of crawfish! Everyone thought I was crazy on an earlier post! Oops, hijacked the thread...done now...

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    THIS is why Raccons will never take over the world![​IMG]

Dang, this Forum is addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

What an A W E S O M E solution!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by