New loft for newbie

rsohio

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
My son just picked up 2 homing pigeons. We are trying to decide where to make their loft. I have a new horse barn that is monitor style, with a shed roof on each side. On the chicken side we have an area that is 4x12, with a 2 foot treated lumber base, cement floor with sand ( was going to be used for chickens). The wire is 1x2, and it can be completely enclosed. On the outside of this stall, is a sliding door, we can put up an outside fenced area as well.
The downside is that it does not get much direct sunlight ( it's in the middle of the barn), there is the shed roof , and there are trees on that side of the barn. There is about 8-10 feet between the end of the shed roof and the treeline.

There is the option of putting something in the hay loft ( we do not store hay there), Would get sun through the window and could leave the door open when he is flying them.

Third option would be to buy a small chicken coop and convert it. These are young untrained birds, about 4 weeks old.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

They do need at least a little sun to sit in. But if you'd be flying them often then it wouldn't have to be a whole lot in their pen. I think it would be cool to have a whole hay loft full of pigeons, lol, I'd get messy though. As long as they can get some sun, are protected from predators (including rodents) and stay COMPLETELY DRY then you're OK. Some protection from strong winds in cold weather is also good.
GOOD LUCK.

What about flying in? will it be a problem for them to fly into the barn and their pen?

No, though if the entrance is a small pop - like door than they should have a landing board or similar. Make sure they're penned for a couple weeks and then let them go out on their own accord and then call them back in with a training call and shacking the feed can. They may actually not go out the first day, but they'll warm up and eventually rush out when you let them.

And if they don't respond to your call, don't panic. They'll come back to roost. I find they get exited and don't pay attention to anything else the first time out! They'll respond later on as they get let out more and learn it well.

The males are usually a bit larger (not always) and more iridescent. In the image below the one on the right is the male of the mated pair. They are more vocal and begin to strut in semicircles when near a receptive female.
Hope this helps.

This about the minimum space you would need for one pair of breeding and roositing pigeons. Underneath that is a link to building a loft to enclsose this if needed.

Yours truly,
Hokum

EAST AND NORTH AR E WERE THE BAD WEATHER COMES FROM TRY TO AVOID THEM. PIGEONS ARE EASY TO TRAIN SO LIMIT THERE FEED TO WHAT THEY CAN CLEAN UP IN 20 MINUTES. SHAKE A CAN OR A SOUND THAT CAN BE DONE BEFORE FEEDING

you may want to feed that in morn and evening or night, as they may need to acclimate to the reduced feed. my parlors for instance got light when suddenly started putting on schedual i have my flying rollers on, of so much per kit, but may need to be fourth of cup for two at first, maybe half if they are needing to get into condition or acclimate to new weather ect..

Back
Top Bottom