New Magpie Ducklings! Awwwwwwww... *NEW PICS ADDED!*

mlheran

Songster
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
Sonoma County, California
Well I've been spending way too much time online reading about ducks and pouring over all my poultry books, but it'll pay off for these little guys (I hope)!

They arrived just this morning at the feedstore (from Ideal) and I ran over to get my pick before they were all gone. I think they only had five of each breed (Magpies, Cayugas, and Khaki Campbells); I chose three Black & White Magpies -two females and one male. They are intended for fun, eggs, and perhaps in time for breeding and the table. We'll see. For now I just want to keep them healthy and happy!

One of the females seems rather droopy so I'm keeping an extra eye on her.
fl.gif

I know these pics are terrible, but I just had to share the adorable cuteness!!

From left to right: female, male, droopy female...
042507A.jpg

L to R: male, droopy female...
042507B.jpg

L to R: male, droopy female, very out-going female...
042507C.jpg

LOL, that one better perk up otherwise her name's going to be Droopy!
lol.png

And I have to say, having now seen and handled day-old ducklings I can't imagine how anyone could buy, sell, or give them to children!!
barnie.gif
They are far too soft and fragile -even more than my chicks were! I'm so thankful the feedstore didn't get these in until after Easter. And the price they were charging should be deterent enough, lol! (more than double Ideal's price, but it was worth it for me
smile.png
)

I'm thrilled to be part of the backyard duck scene now, and any tips or suggestions you have will be very welcome. I've found that booksmarts only get you so far, and hands-on can be a whole new experience. Many thanks for all the info I've gleaned from this forum and it's wonderful members already!!

New (and better) pics!!

Droopy girl at top left, male bottom left...
042507E.jpg

I love these feets!!
lol.png

042507F.jpg

The vibrant girl is bashful...
042507D.jpg

I think Droopy is perking up a little. How much longer should I give her sugared water, or when should I switch to Teramyicin?

Last edited:
Awwww....they are so cute!!! Good Luck with them, i just adore ducklings, as I have 4 right now, Just over 4 weeks old. They grow fast!! They dont feather like chickens but they quadroople in size very fast!!
smile.png

critter crazy- I've seen day-by-day photos of ducklings and you're right -it's like they're inflatable or something! What kind of ducklings do you have?

sunshine hen- LOL, maybe I'll have to use some other Snow White dwarf names!
lol.png

Quote:
my 4 ducklings are 2 Mallards, and 2 Silver Appleyards. I also Have one adult cayuga female.
smile.png

I had more adults, but just lost them a little over a week ago to a stray dog!
sad.png

edit: I have 2 Pekins not Mallards, the Mallards went my aunt. I wasnt thiking apparently!
roll.png

Last edited:
my 4 ducklings are 2 Mallards, and 2 Silver Appleyards. I also Have one adult cayuga female.
smile.png

I had more adults, but just lost them a little over a week ago to a stray dog!
sad.png

Oh I'm so sorry about your older ducks! Bad dog! :mad:

I like Silver Appleyards -I was thinking of getting some miniature ones before I stumbled across the Magpie breed. *sigh* Why can't I have every kind of duck?
tongue.png

Quote:
Oh I'm so sorry about your older ducks! Bad dog! :mad:

I like Silver Appleyards -I was thinking of getting some miniature ones before I stumbled across the Magpie breed. *sigh* Why can't I have every kind of duck?
tongue.png

he he he he!! thats what i want too! I want at least one of every breed!! Chickens, Ducks Geese, and Turkeys!! That is why they call me Crazy!!
lol.png
lol.png

not an expert on ducklings (i've only had healthy adults) but I am concerned about continual sugar water. Typically sugar water is only used for the first day after shipping to give a quick energy boost.

Terramyacin is a mild antibiotic and I don't think you should use it unless you think she may have a bacterial infection.

You may consider some vitamins and/or electrolytes....

I suggest you post about your droopy girl in the "diseases and cures" section or repost here with a title that will grab attention like help my droopy duckling!

To help people help you, state your ducks breed, age, symptoms, timeline, and what you've done so far.

Good luck
Sandra

Quote:
Oh no, no, no -it hasn't been continual. Yesterday was the day they arrived from the hatchery to the feedstore, and I went down and got them just after noon. I gave them a waterer of tap water and separately mixed up a very weak sugared water to give the droopy one a few times a day. I've been wary of supplements (haven't used any on my chicks), but because she was so droopy I thought I'd try some weak sugar.

The good news is today she is much perkier and is running around with the other two -though never in the lead.
wink.png
I also haven't given her any sugared water since yesterday, yay!

Thanks for the tip/info about Terramyacin and vitamins, I really didn't want to use it unless I absolutely had to and looking back I really didn't give enough information about her condition. Very good suggestions, thank you SO much!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom