New MamaChick

MamaChick70

Chirping
Apr 29, 2020
Hudson Valley Area, NY
I joined back yard chicken a bit ago when I was doing my research and came across the website. I wanted to start to get familiar and start learning about the chicks/chickens - I got my girls 6/18/20. I have 6 in total, three red sex links, and three black sex links. This breed was referred to me by a friend who raises chickens for many years. I tried to be prepared to learn as much as I can before there arrival. As a newbie, I recommend two books that I bought from mypetchicken.com, which is very useful. The first book is My Pet Chicken by Lisa Lucas and Traci Torres (they are chicken owners and work for my pet chicken), the other The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow. Both books have a wealth of information, almost information overload - lol 🤣

I can't wait today there coop is being delivered. I have there run set up; it is an 8x8 chain link from Tractor Supply.

I also have two dogs that are trying to figure out what they are. My older dog, Kimber, just turned ten, and she had an encounter with one of my new girls. We had them in there brooder (which is a dog kennel), which is inside my house. We were just getting ready to eat dinner, and one of my children saw the dog and the chick outside of the brooder. Thank goodness the dog did not harm her. So know we had to figure out what happened. One of the bars was bent, so we placed cardboard around the brooder so no more escapes - it's worked so far. The other dog, Oreo, is a two-year-old black lab mix, but she just watches them from a distance and seems to guard them. She just is jealous when mama holds the chicks because it takes time away from her.

Attachments

• 6-19 brough home.jpg
    6-19 brough home.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Chicken Health.jpg
    Chicken Health.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Pet Chicken.jpg
    Pet Chicken.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom