New Marylander

pitsandchicks

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
Maryland, US
Hello! I’m technically new, although this is my second post. I’ve already found this community very helpful and friendly! I’m not creative, so I’ll use the intro template:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Not new — I had a flock of up to 10 from about 2016-2019. They were a super easy, low maintenance flock that lived in the back of a shed and free ranged, but in a two week span, we lost 8 to raccoons. Decided to rehome the remaining.

In March of 2022, my neighbor had to rehome her flock so we took 11 of her chickens, including our first rooster.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

Currently:
Rooster - light Brahma
Hens - ISA brown(3), brown leghorn, olive egger, black copper marans, Easter egger, blue-laces red Wyandotte (briefly had a lavender Orpington but she was snatched up by a fox)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Watching them! I don’t eat a lot of eggs myself, so my partner eats them and we give away the rest. But I love watching them peck around and do chicken things.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Reading, playing Pokémon video games, home decor/reno (although not sure this is a hobby as much as a necessary job that takes up a lot of my time), working out

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m 34 and have a partner of 10 years and a 9-year-old pitbull mix (mix of three bully breeds). No kids - just animals!

I’m a college English professor. Forgive my syntax, typos, and general lack of writing finesse in the forums — I’m off the clock.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I casually browsed BYC when I had my first flock, but needing insight into a specific question about mites led me to finally sign up!

Attachments

• C51D4106-6A9A-4AD7-960F-A1C9A7CA474D.jpeg
    C51D4106-6A9A-4AD7-960F-A1C9A7CA474D.jpeg
    744.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom