New member, and coop introduction.

530EggPlant

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
Auburn, Ca
Hello BYC Friends,

I am a new, proud, chicken Mama to 6 unique little "girls".

1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte. Purchased online from the Californiahatchery.com. They arrived alive and in excellent health 72 hours old. They will be 3 weeks on 5/14/15.

(In this photo they are 2.5 weeks old)

My second group of 3 Easter Eggers were purchased from my local feed store at the age of 24 hours. They will be 1 week old on 5/13/15.

(In this photo they are 6 days old)

Sadly I no longer have horses so I've converted my tack/feed shed into a coop or as I like to call it "The Egg Plant".

My first group used this brooder for the first 2.5 weeks of their lives.

(Keeping watch in the photo is Marlie Mae my 2 Y.O. German Shepherd/ Husky Mix)

Now with most of their feathers grown in they've flown this coop. I have them in a kiddy pool where they're still able to roam the rest of the coop, but the walls provide a more draft free area to sleep.

My older "girls" have graciously given their first brooder over to their new younger "sisters" who are now in the garage (much closer to the house which makes check ups a whole lot easier)

Some of my Easter Eggers need names any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I have really enjoyed your intro and looking through your pics. Your chicks really are adorable and you have a lovely mix there. As to sexing your chicks, it's a little early yet but when they are a few more weeks older you could post some pics over in the what breed gender section of the forum. Here is the link > https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this Lots of really helpful members there who will be able to help you.

Once your chicks are all off heat and are about the same size you should be ok to start the integration process. I would have them next to each but seperated by wire so they can see each other and become aquainted but not get to each other and cause harm. Once you have had them next to each other's for a few weeks you should be ok the add them. Be there to supervise though so you can jump in if things get a bit a bit rough and more than the usual pecking order scuffles. Extra feed and water stations are also very helpful so no one can be bullied out.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your babies in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Back
Top Bottom