New member and new to having BYC's! City girl gone country!

RC Cruiser

Hatching
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
Hi everyone! I posted a question under Emergencies!!!!

Please help me! I have 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Delawares. Someone is pecking my RIR's to where they are bleeding. I did separate them 3 weeks ago when 3 of them were pecked on their backsides and bleeding.

Now, today one RIR was pecked again on her backside and now neck in the front! We have separated her from the rest. She has her own food, water and space. She is actually the slimest RIR that I have.

My girls have plenty of space,food and water.

Please help!

My girls are well taken care of. What can I do????? They are about 9 weeks old. They've been together since they hatched.

frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC.

Sorry about your problem. But would suggest you look to see who has not been pecked and remove that chicken?

The slimmest chicken is likely the lowest of the order and would be the one to catch the worst of all..so glad you have separated her.

Would suggest watching and observing to see who the culprit(s) are and deal with the bad gals. Spray any pecked areas with BluKote to help reduce the repeated problems. Make sure your flock don't have lice or mites - that could cause a whole flock picking problem?

Hopefully someone with more experience will show up with opines to help..

Hi everyone! I posted a question under Emergencies!!!!

Please help me! I have 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Delawares. Someone is pecking my RIR's to where they are bleeding. I did separate them 3 weeks ago when 3 of them were pecked on their backsides and bleeding.

Now, today one RIR was pecked again on her backside and now neck in the front! We have separated her from the rest. She has her own food, water and space. She is actually the slimest RIR that I have.

My girls have plenty of space,food and water.

Please help!

My girls are well taken care of. What can I do????? They are about 9 weeks old. They've been together since they hatched.
Well, the most likely reason by why that chicken is being picked on is because of pecking order, the RIR that is mostly being pecked is probably at the bottom of the line, but give it time, and it will be resolved also if it gets too serious like in your case you were right to separate them.

Hope this was helpful!

The slimest one is most likely being bullied away from the feeder. Probably also denied water.. Any bird that isn't missing feathers or bleeding is most likely the gang leader. That is the one you want to remove from the flock. Use Blu-kote on the injured birds to cover up the blood/wounds.
Chickens go nuts when they see injuries or blood, and will even cannibalize the victims.

Thanks, I have her separated. She has her own nesting box, food and water. She is in the same coop, but completely separated from the others. They can see and hear each other.

I bought DE tonight and a pecking block. Cleaning out run in the morning and putting DE down on the sand. Cleaning out coop and putting DE in the pine shavings too and in nesting boxes. We just made the nesting boxes today. There are 14 of them that we built. We have a large coop.

Back
Top Bottom