new member and new to having chickens in town ;)

kmstacy

In the Brooder
May 15, 2022
Hi everyone! I live in a small town , chickens are permitted with a permit of course. A month this coming Wednesday I bought some baby chicks' from tractor supply and today I stopped into farm and fleet to get dog and chick food and bought a few other kinds. I have them in a separate brooder in the garage as I live in Illinois and we are still cold at night.
My month old chicks' are cinnamon queens, Australorp, bantams (Bantams were straight run all others supposed to be pullets) , my few day old chicks are buff Orrington, barred rock, light brahma, sapphire gems. I am a mom to 4 and a grandma to two a 2 year old boy and a 7 week old girl. I work full time at nursing home. I have a few friends that live on farms and they all have chickens and say ours are spoiled already lol. They also offered to take any that i do not want to keep . My plan is to raise them as egg laying pets .

Congratulations on your newest grandchild and your chicks -- I don't think there's anything wrong with spoiling any of them! All of my birds are pets.

Also, it's great that you have friends who will take any of your unwanted birds. A friend who worked at a hatchery acquired three straight run Bantams for me last year. It turned out that two were roosters. The more aggressive one went to live with my beloved avian vet.

You have a great diverse flock and should be rewarded with a pretty egg basket.

Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom