new member,bc Canada

dirkV

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2023
having chickens for years , however , this year around we have issues with broken and eaten eggs a lot, if we are home and check regular,lots off eggs... not home (work) broken eggs and completely eaten. we are pretty sure we have a few hens that are hunting for eggs now... so questions... how to resolve ? how to build better nesting boxes? egg roll outs ?
anyone have results with this ?
thanks , glad i found this forum.

Glad to meet you, Dirk, and welcome to BYC. Often when chickens start breaking and eating eggs, it means they are short of protein. This is especially likely to happen when they are molting. Check the info on the feed you are giving them. You might need to change that.

Here is an article on feeding chickens during molt

and here is an article on common chicken problems, which includes tips on teaching the hens not to break and eat eggs.

and one more article,
BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!

Hello and welcome to BYC!

My flock started egg eating years ago because 1 young pullet couldn't put a shell on for the life of her. I installed curtains to make the boxes dark, it stopped others from cruising for eggs...nothing to see here! Hen slips in, lays her egg, it's dim inside, she doesn't bother it, others don't see it either. BUT you must collect eggs often at first and you need ceramic eggs in the boxes as well. They will play with eggs at first and ceramic eggs will teach them that eggs are impenetrable. I use cheap kitchen curtains, with a industrial staple gun, I stapled them to the top, a small slit in the middle for hens to slip into. Took a couple of weeks and egg eating was cured for good. Make sure to collect eggs often.

IMG_20230506_095333895_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230506_095454011_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230506_095409431.jpg

Glad to meet you, Dirk, and welcome to BYC. Often when chickens start breaking and eating eggs, it means they are short of protein. This is especially likely to happen when they are molting. Check the info on the feed you are giving them. You might need to change that.

Here is an article on feeding chickens during molt

and here is an article on common chicken problems, which includes tips on teaching the hens not to break and eat eggs.

and one more article,
BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!
thanks , i will look in to this

Back
Top Bottom