New member chicken flew into my backyard what should I do

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ninaalvarado, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ninaalvarado

ninaalvarado New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    Hello so a chicken flew into my backyard 12 hrs ago I tried my best to get it out but it came back about 5 time I don't know anything about it I live in Arizona so I left some clean water in the shade to keep it hydrated [​IMG]

2. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have other chickens? A rooster has showed up a couple of times here. I guess he probably heard my chicks and was curious. The landlord said that the people that use to live here had chickens so maybe it is one of those or it belongs to one of my neighbors. You could probably ask your neighbors if they lost a chicken. If no one claims it then either enjoy it or give it someone.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome BYC. Good luck with your new-found friend.

Ct

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you post that photo at "what breed or gender is this," I bet they can ID it for you. I am thinking it looks like a bantam game breed - depending on age, maybe a pullet. They are supposed to make great broodies (mothers).

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Do you have any other chickens? Yep, checking with the neighbors is a good idea. In the meantime, if you'd like to keep him temporarily but don't have a coop or anything, you could put him in a dog cage in a garage or shed with some water overnight. He'll probably be able to find much of his own food outside like bugs and stuff, but if you want to give him something else and don't have any chicken feed, here is a list of foods that chickens can eat. Good luck with your new visitor! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by